Pontiac

Pontiac Problems? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Pontiac

Won't start if it does won't stay running. New Map

Customer Question
sensor, new fuel filter, new...
won't start if it does won't stay running. New Map sensor, new fuel filter, new fuel pump
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Pontiac
8/11/2015
Pontiac Mechanic: Tool Hut, ASE Certified Technician replied 2 years ago
Tool Hut
Tool Hut, ASE Certified Technician

Hi, My Name is***** have over 20 years experience repairing vehicles. I am a ASE Certified Master Auto Technician. I am confident we can resolve your problem together.Please remember I don't know your skill level. I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies to get to a satisfactory resolution.I also try to give all of the information you may need expecting a positive rating. If there is any reason I cannot get a positive rating please let me know.

Do you have any codes in system?

Why did you replace these components?

do you have a fuel pressure gauge? Spark tester? Injector noid light?

Any security lights on dash?

All started by not starting at different times but ran perfect when it did start. Took it to mechanic they replaced water pump said it was vapor locking from heat. Well got it home won't start mechanic said bring it back and it would put on a fuel pump. My thinking is he should have went this way first or check pressure. I checked the pressure and it was around 40-42 some on the boards here said this was low so I put on new fuel pump and filter. I don't have loan of tester again but one pushing on schrader valve a lot of gas comes out. Previously I had put on new IAC and Map sensor. Right now car will start and idle when gas pedal is pushed to floor this is so it starts and idles only. Try to get off pedal and apply it will die. Currently no codes although it has had map code and multiple misfire code in past. Security flashes as you start but doesn't stay on. Also I did put a new pcm programmed to vin on it.

By big concern right now is that it appears your mechanic doesnt know whats wrong and is guessing on the repairs. I would prefer things be tested prior to replacement. It does sound to me by your symptoms that the mass air flow sensor could be your suspect part. They almost never throw a code and need a good scope to test. However a good cleaning solves your problem a lot of times. So I am going to recommend cleaning the sensor. I have attached a picture of its location and you can purchase mass air flow sensor cleaner or brake cleaner at the parts store for the cleaning. Really easy just need a flat head screwdriver. remove from the air tube and spray down inside it. let it dry and reinstall. dont forget to plug it in. I also have attached a link to how to clean it.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhbSuIZus-o

Tool Hut
Tool Hut
Tool Hut, ASE Certified Technician