Pontiac

Pontiac Problems? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Pontiac

1997 Pontiac Sunfire 2.2L, starts up but it will dies out

Customer Question
like 2 second, I try...
1997 Pontiac Sunfire 2.2L, starts up but it will dies out like 2 second, I try to replace ignition switch and ign.key but still the same problem.I checked all fuses no sign of burn out,I don't have service manual with me, What should i do next?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Pontiac
8/4/2015
Pontiac Mechanic: Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager replied 2 years ago
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
HI,
Does yours have a security/antitheft light in the dash?
If it does, does it stay on as long as key is in the on position, blink on and off, or go off after a few seconds of key being in the on position?
it stays on it doesn't blink
HI,
Ok, we need to do the 30 minute relearn procedure. You need to do all the steps as directed for the full 30 minutes
30 minute GM relearn procedure:
1-Turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF.
2-Attempt to start the engine, then release the key to ON (vehicle will not start).
3-Observe the SECURITY telltale(this is the security light), after approximately 10 minutes the telltale will turn OFF.
4-Turn OFF the ignition, and wait 5 seconds .
5-Repeat steps 1 through 4 two more times for a total of 3 cycles/30 minutes (the vehicle is now ready to relearn the Passlock(TM) Sensor Data Code and/or passwords on the next ignition switch transition from OFF to CRANK). IMPORTANT: The vehicle learns the Passlock(TM) Sensor Data Code and/or password ***** the next ignition switch transition from OFF to CRANK. You must turn the ignition OFF before attempting to start the vehicle.
6-Start the engine (the vehicle has now learned the Passlock(TM) Sensor Data Code and/or password).
Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. Thanks
I just did but anti theft still stays on it won't turn off
HI,
Bit confused. I answered at 3:41 and you replied at 3:49, that is not even 10 minutes for the first step required. You have to do it exactly as stated. It takes 10 minutes for the light to go off
I just noticed that theft security light since last night when i try that. but now i did already my first cycle 10 min.this is my second cycle is it normal that light still stays on?
It should go off after 10 minutes on the first cycle, then come back on on 2nd cycle and go off after 10 minutes, and same for 3rd cycle.
If not going off after 10 minutes, then there is a problem with either the key or with the antitheft control module itself.
I just did my second cycle but theft indicator still stays on, what should i do next?
HI,
Do you have another key for it? If so, try it. If it works on it, then it is the key. If not, it is the control module
I just replace new ignition lock key and ignition switch because the problem before is that anti theft indicator light it stays on. If I replace the antitheft control module do I have to do the three cycle again?
yes, you will need to do the 30 minute relearn so that the new module learns the key
I checked for ecu here in Guam but they dont have available parts i have to order off Island. If i have this parts for a few weeks do i have to contact you if there is any problem? no extra charge?
HI,
All you have to do is bookmark this page, and then re-open it for FREE followup. I am here 7 days a week
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager