GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Pontiac Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.
10949255

Pontiac G6: I have a 2008 G6 3.5 when the RPM's are under

Customer Question

I have a 2008 G6 3.5 when the RPM's are under 1500 and going up hill there is a like an incomplete/hesitation in shifting to a lower gear. I'll let up on the gas and then reaccelerate and the shift is good. It doesn't matter the speed of travel but the RPM's. It's intermittent. No check engine lights come on. It just crossed 80,000 miles. Any ideas? Thank you.
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  GM Tech (Cam) replied 2 years ago.
Hi there, I am Cam. Can I get your first name please? With this, does it feel like it could possibly be a momentary misfire instead, just a momentary decrease in power and it picks right back up? Because the load you are talking, the kicking it to higher RPM and it working makes me think this is a spark plug wire or spark plug issue.
Spark plug wires are known for issues in these GM v6's, and they almost always present in the fashion you have listed, low RPM under a load. Higher RPM's change the power and they don't seem to present the issue then, and because its not happening long enough, it does not set a check engine light.
With the mileage and age of your vehicle, and what I have seem MANY times, I would not be afraid to put a set of plug wires and even consider completing the tune up and change spark plugs then clean the throttle body.