Pontiac

Pontiac problems? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Pontiac aztec: I have a Pontiac aztek 2003.aving lots of trouble…

Customer Question
I have a Pontiac aztek...
I have a Pontiac aztek 2003.aving lots of trouble replacing a wheel bearin- the axel spline was rusted in to the hub- had to use a cutting torch to get the hub out-- I am replacing the slplined end of the axel, but I cant get the splined end separated from the resy of the new axel- there sems to be some sort od retaining clib in the spline and I don't know hwo to get it out
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Pontiac
Answered in 1 hour by:
7/2/2015
Pontiac Mechanic: Clayso, Master Automobile Technician replied 3 years ago
Clayso
Clayso, Master Automobile Technician
Hi There, I'm Clayso a certified master automobile technician with 30 years of automotive repair and diagnostic experience. From your description it sounds like you are working on a front axle. The outer joint is held onto the axle with a retaining clip inside of the joint on the axle. The retaining clip compresses into the axle when the inner most part of the joint slides over it. The link below is the complete procedure for rebuilding and outer joint. In the procedure they use a wooden block to protect the joint during dis-assembly, personally I use a heavy brass punch and a 40 oz dead blow hammer. Constant Velocity Joint Service & Repair I hope this information is helpful to you. Should you have any questions please let me know.Kindly rate my assistance in a positive manner so I may have credit for helping you. Positive ratings are greatly appreciated.Thanks so much.