Pontiac

Pontiac Problems? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Pontiac

Pontiac Grand Am: 2003 Grand Am 3.4 liter V6. Drove into deep

Customer Question
2003 Grand Am 3.4 liter...
2003 Grand Am 3.4 liter V6. Drove into deep water. Lights gauges and all electrical works, but engine will not turn. No voltage to the solenoid.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Pontiac
7/1/2015
Pontiac Mechanic: Edgar, ASE Certified Technician replied 2 years ago
Edgar
Edgar, ASE Certified Technician
Hello my name is ***** ***** I'll be happy to help you today, I apologize for the delay, the wire that has no power is the purple wire in the starter solenoid?
Yes. The purple wire is the one that goes to the solenoid. I checked the PNP switch, and all is normal. Voltage on the (small) purple wire when the key is on. None when the key is off.
check for power in the purple wire at the starter but while turning the switch to crank position you will need other person that hold the switch in the crank position while you check with a test light the purple wire at the starter, if the test light come on then try to tap the starter with a small hammer to see if it crank, if it crank the stater is the problem.
Already tested for voltage while an assistant turned the key to the crank position. No voltage. I can jump the solenoid and crank the engine.
If there is no voltage at the stater in the purple wire, check for voltage with a test light in two terminal of the stater relay which is relay #11 in the fuse block underhood if there is voltage in two terminals then you need to check which of the other two terminals is the one that goes to the stater you can do it with a voltmeter set to ohms to check continuity the reason why you need to make sure which is the starter wire is because you need to use a fuse jumper wire and jump across the power wire to the starter wire in the relay connector to see if the engine crank, also in the same fuse block underhood check fuse 54 which is crank fuse to make sure is not blown.
Edgar
Edgar
Edgar, ASE Certified Technician