Pontiac

Pontiac problems? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

I have a 2004 pontiac montana van, that has been running a…

Customer Question
I have a 2004 pontiac...
I have a 2004 pontiac montana van, that has been running a little warmer over the last week or so. The other day it got into the red lines and when overheated died all together. When it cools I have to keep putting water in it, but cannot find any leak. Now, I can run the van anywhere from 15-30 min normally and then it overheats suddenly and dies and the water is completely gone. Could this be a thermostat issue or what?
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Pontiac
6/29/2015
Pontiac Mechanic: Jerry, Master Mechanic replied 3 years ago
Jerry, Master Mechanic
Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you today.
.
Could be the stat. You can see if it tries to gush out when filling it up, (like it won't take the coolant) or take it out and see if it opens in hot water, like the factory tells us to.
.
They are sometimes bad about the radiators clogging up and causing an overheating. You can have that tested at a radiator shop or feel around the core when the engine is hot to see if there are any cool spots that would indicate a clog.
.
However, with any engine that runs hot, overheats or has been overheated it is best to check the integrity of the engine, (head gaskets and heads, etc.)
.
The first thing that you want to do is check the cooling system for any exhaust gases. Make sure that it’s full first. There is a tester for that, that you can get from Autozone for about $20. They will normally lend you the tester and you just buy the fluid for about $8. It comes with instructions, but there is a blue fluid that is used in it, if the fluid turns yellow, that is exhaust gases.
.
Block tester available is:
Napa BK.(###) ###-####
OEM/Block Tester AUTOZONE
Part Number:
27145
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/accessories/Tools/Block-Tester/_/N-25dh?filterByKeyWord=block+tester&fromString=search
.
*****You will want to check it at different RPM’s and at different temperatures***
..
.
If there are any exhaust gases in the cooling system, that will cause more pressure than desired and will allow the engine to burn coolant and/or heat the coolant up too high. Most times not filling the crankcase with coolant either and not smoke out the exhaust.
If there are, then there would be an internal engine problem, like a head gasket or head.
.
.
Please don’t forget to rate the answer, **** THAT IS THE ONLY WAY I GET PAID **** if you need any more on it, I will be here.
.