Pontiac

Pontiac problems? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Pontiac Sunbird LE Convertible: 1985 Pontiac Sunbird stalls…

Customer Question
1985 Pontiac Sunbird stalls once...
1985 Pontiac Sunbird stalls once it warms up. Getting error 33, 35, 45 and 51. I have replaced a bunch of parts like the ECM, Manifold Absolute Pressure Sensor, Idle Air Control Valve. Also found some vacuum leaks and replaced those lines/connectors. I just ordered a EGR valve hoping this will put an end to my ordeal but if it doesn't not where should I go from here?
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Pontiac
Few months back car failed inspection due to emissions. The Catalytic Converter, Muffler, O2 sensor, Cap, Rotor, Plugs, Wires and tires were replaced.This is unrelated but the battery, alternator and starter were replaced last year. A lot of money has been invested and also sentimental value therefore I would like to bring it back to its original state.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Answered in 1 day by:
6/17/2015
Pontiac Mechanic: tims auto repair, mechanic replied 3 years ago
tims auto repair
Hi, My name is ***** ***** for the delay.
I will do my best to assist you
is it loosing a spark when the engine is warm?
does it always run well when t is cold?
will it fire with a prime when it is hot?[using starting fluid or a little fuel into the throttle body]?
tell me all you can
thanks

I don't know if its loosing spark. The rotor, cap, plugs and wires are new. Engine starts right up but idles high, over 2500 RPM's. Also sounds like its sputtering. Once engine warm up the RPM's drop to 1000 and the check engine light comes on and shortly after stalls. To restart is a struggle unless it cools down.

ok
how long before it will restart after it stalls?

To restart is a struggle unless the engine cools down. I tried adjusting the distributor to the maximum level the engine starts right up but at 3500 RPMs. The engine will continue running like until you up put it in drive or reverse. once its engaged the rpms drop and stalls.

ok
from the way you explain the problem,,it sound sas if you may have one of two possibilities.
1-the ignition module[in the distributor]
2-the pick-up coil[in the distributor]
either of these could kill the injector pulse or the spark ..sometimes these will break down with heat when they go bad.
you may consider replacing the complete distributor with a new rebuilt unit
thanks
If you are satisfied with my answer, Please Rate my answer by clicking the rating button so I can get credit for my work. I’m not always going to be giving you good news, so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer. .it does not cost you more money and we will still be able to communicate, ,.please understand, i can not see, hear or touch the vehicle and only know what you tell me. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated.. if you are not satisfied with my answer, please do not leave bad feed back ,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question. .if i have sent any diagrams, please print them. .sometimes you may need to right click the image [,then save picture as]to save it to your computer so you can open it with your picture program...Please ask if you need more help.

I just ordered a Cardone 30-1441 Remanufactured Distributor. It will arrive tomorrow.

Can the distributor cause errors 33, 35, 45, & 51? or do you think I have multiple problems?

Code 33 indicates that the Manifold Absolute Pressure (MAP) sensor is detecting unusually low vacuum in the manifold

Code 35 indicates a problem with the Idle Speed Control (ISC) circuit

Code 45 indicates that the O2 sensor is showing a persistently low exhaust oxygen content

Code 51 indicates that the ECM sensed a fault in the MEM-CAL

i would think these are multiple problems..the car is 30+ years old..
i will give you tests/checks for these codes
thanks
PLEASE COPY AND PASTE the link below to your browser, I have uploaded more info on this there please copy and paste the link below to your main browser[INTERNET EXPLORER or FIREFOX]
.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/0am8hm3elhi5cf2/0617-pontiac-sunbird-Close%20Window.doc?dl=0
.
if the link doesn’t work that way, try it this way
thanks
.
www.dropbox.com/s/0am8hm3elhi5cf2/0617-pontiac-sunbird-Close%20Window.doc?dl=0
.
If you are satisfied with my answer, Please Rate my answer by clicking the rating button so I can get credit for my work. I’m not always going to be giving you good news, so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer. .it does not cost you more money and we will still be able to communicate, ,.please understand, i can not see, hear or touch the vehicle and only know what you tell me. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated.. if you are not satisfied with my answer, please do not leave bad feed back ,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question. .if i have sent any diagrams, please print them. .sometimes you may need to right click the image [,then save picture as]to save it to your computer so you can open it with your picture program...Please ask if you need more help

I just tried installing the new distributor but the car does not turn over/start. I'm assuming the distributor is defective since I did not have this problem with the original one. I'm taking it back to Advance Auto Parts. I'll keep you posted.

ok
let me know
thanks

Advance Auto Parts didn't have another one in stock. Will take 5 days to get a replacement

i see..perhaps auto zone