Pontiac

Pontiac problems? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Pontiac: 1997 grand am, when i turn on ignition fuel gauge…

Customer Question
1997 grand am, when i...
1997 grand am, when i turn on ignition fuel gauge goes down, no power to starter
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Pontiac
6/14/2015
Pontiac Mechanic: sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician replied 3 years ago
sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!
It sounds as if the powertrain control module may be down. The PCM is the module that controls all engine functions.
What you'll need to do is see if the fuel pump runs when the key is first turned on and see if the PCM will communicate with a scan tool or code reader. If neither of these happen then the PCM is down.
If fuses are good then odds are the PCM itself is the issue, but you would need to verify it's powers and grounds are good before condemning it to ensure there isn't a wiring issue.