Pontiac

Pontiac Problems? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Pontiac

Pontiac 1998 Pontiac firebird 3.8 liter: Fans not coming on

Customer Question
Fans not coming on when...
Fans not coming on when the car gets hot I change the cooling temp sensor and it still don't come on if I unplug it from the sensor then the fans come on
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Pontiac
6/13/2015
Pontiac Mechanic: Chris (aka- Moose), Pontiac Technician replied 2 years ago
Chris (aka- Moose), Pontiac Technician
I am sorry for the delay in getting a response to you. Sometimes we get alot of customers and just can not keep up. Sometimes you just have to wait for the correct tech to login.Do you even still need help. Sometimes customers seek help elsewhere or figure it out on their own before we get to each and everyone.I am sure I can help a lot or a little at least something if you give me a chance and work with me. I am going to get an answer to you regardless if you reply or not sooner or later.If your concern is urgent reply and let me know and if you have anything more you think will help me, to help you, let me know. I work on here normally 3pm-3am central. Thanks Chris
I'm thinking that the cooking temp sensor I bought isn't working properly so I'm going to get another one and see if that solve the problem
1. Watch the voltage on the Dark Green wire at the ECT with a Digital Volt Ohm Meter, backprobing. 2. The voltage should start high with a cold engine, drop evenly as the engine warms up. 3. Watch the voltage on the Yellow wire at the ECT . 4. The voltage should start high with a cold engine, drop evenly as the engine warms up, increase near the 120 degrees F mark, then drop smoothly again. 5. The ECT usually starts near 2.5v, then drops to 1-1.5v volts at operating temperature. You want a excellent 5 star answer & I would like to be rated the same for providing it. Consider I don't know your skill level & I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the vehicle. It may take a few back and forth replies. Try your best to respond with good detail so I can do the same. I normally log in at 3pm and work late. A rating is required. Your rating me, what I type. I am not an employee of this website, nor have control over the fees or the time it took to get a response. If you rate negative or not at all you still paid, but I get nothing. I want you pleased with me and my efforts, so let me know if your experience here has come up short.Thanks Chris
Ok I will have to wait until another day to try it's been raining alot I'm going to try another cooling temp switch first then I'll get back to you on it
Chris (aka- Moose), Pontiac Technician