Lou P.
Lou P., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  I have 15+ years gm experiance and am very knowledgeable with systems and operations and diagnosis and have access to factory wiring diagrams and tsb's
27644750

Stabiltrak

Customer Question

stabiltrak
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  Lou P. replied 2 years ago.
Hello my name is ***** ***** i will do my best to help you , i strive for EXCELLENT service and nothing more. what is the issue you are having?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
the stabilitrak warning shows on and off on the car dash,
These diagnostic codes are extracted from the Mojio device:
P0171(system too Lean bank 1),
P0420 (Catalyst system Efficiency Below Threshold)
P1400 (Unknown)
Expert:  Lou P. replied 2 years ago.
ok, the system too lean code will indicate a failing fuel pump, air leak to the engine, or bad mass air flow sensor
the catalyst code is because the catalytic convertor had failed, it may go away once the lean code is fixed, as for the p1400 is for the egr valve circuit which can actually cause in rare instances the same p0171 code
as for the stabilitrak you would need a scanner that reads more than engine codes, it would have to read the abs module and such, the code reader you have only will read emissions codes, so you will need to either go to a shop or find a buddy with a scanner to read the rest of the modules. only then can we find out the issue. sorry. hope this helps. Please take a second and click the box and rate my service GOOD OR EXCELLENT SERVICE if you feel I have been helpful and please request me in the future. If you feel I have not been helpful please DO NOT RATE BAD OR POOR AND WASTE YOUR MONEY , I will opt out to see if another expert can provide more or better assistance so you're not wasting your money!!. Thanks for choosing just answer. Lou. also , if you feel i deserve one , BONUSES are GREATLY APPRECIATED ! 😉
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The repair shop replaced sensors but did not touch the fuel pump and the codes never went away. Your explanation sounds reasonable. Are you suggesting the the catalytic converter may not need to be replaced but the actual problem is the fuel pump?
Expert:  Lou P. replied 2 years ago.
kinda, of course i am not near the car to tell you what is exactly happening so take what i say as a viable resource, in Pontiac and gm cars, fuel pumps can cause the code for the lean condition , yes, absolutely , if the pump is not putting out good pressure or flow it will cause the engine to run lean. they will have to do a fuel pump pressure test and a flow test, the pump should fill a liter of gas in 30 seconds or so. and hold pressure with a gauge for 30 minutes with the key off. and i would not give you a unreasonable explanation, lol, check my feedback and recent posts, i am very thorough and accurate with my diagnosis,BUT my diagnosis is only as accurate as the info provided, hope this helps, Lou
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks Lou. Do I rate you after your diagnostic advise is utilized or I have to use my gut instinct? I would have rather rated you after I'm, finished with the repair.
Expert:  Lou P. replied 2 years ago.
well just so you know, when you rate it does not end this conversation, and if you are not satisfied or we need to continue i am and will always be here to help. and if still not satisfied i will show you how to get your refund with no problems. i aim to please and want you to feel comfortable. Lou