Pontiac

Pontiac problems? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Pontiac Grand Am GT: 2004 Grand Am has no crank when key is…

Customer Question
2004 Grand Am has no...
2004 Grand Am has no crank when key is turned to start. Battery power is ok. Starter is fine...got checked by autoparts store twice. Fuses checks out fine. The purple wire on the starter coming from the neutral safety switch has no power when key is turned to start. So i backtracked. Checked for voltage coming into the neutral safety and NO voltage is coming through.(Tested with a test light) Bought 2 different ignition switches/lock cylinders from a junkyard and still have no start after installing.
What am I missing?
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Pontiac
6/4/2015
Pontiac Mechanic: Bill, Pontiac Technician replied 3 years ago
Bill
Bill, Pontiac Technician
Welcome to just answer.com. I'm here to help you and your 100% satisfaction is my goal.
Have you scanned the system for any stored fault codes and do you have a security light on in your dash?
Thanks
Bill
Pontiac Mechanic: Juan Crespo, ASE Certified Technician replied 3 years ago
Juan Crespo
Juan Crespo, ASE Certified Technician
Hi there. Moving the ignition switch to the START position sends a 12 V to the PCM Ignition Crank Voltage Sense. At the same time a 12 V signal is sent through the PNP switch then through the coil side of the STARTER relay. The PCM verifies that all parameter a met for starting. The PCM then grounds the control circuit of the START relay. When the START relay is energized it allows voltage to the starter solenoid S terminal.To test the system, remove the starter relay and have a helper turn the ignition switch to START; then use a test light to check the empty terminals: two should have ground and two should have power. If OK, replace the starter relay. If not OK, we need further tests. Kindly accept and rate my answer now if you think the information I've provided has helped you solve your issue. Otherwise, please reply. Best Regards.
Ok...so only 1 terminal has power coming through it and its constant power. It doesnt matter if the key is turned to start or if there is no key voltage still come through.Power is only at the bottom left terminal.(Refer to my picture)
Anything else to try?
Thanks
OK. That should be a Purple/White wire coming from the gear selector switch. Keep the test light in that cavity while your helper slowly moves the gear selector from Park to Neutral while keeping the ignition switch on START. If voltage doesn't come through, the selector switch might be bad. If voltage comes through, the selector switch might be out of adjustment. If the latter, check for worn engine/trans mounts allowing engine/trans assembly to shift position under torque. Best Regards.