GM Bob
GM Bob, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  30 plus years. experience as GM technician, ASE Master Technician and GM Certified.
70078276

Pontiac: lower hatch handle won't open on my aztek.

Customer Question

I can't get the lower tail gate to open on my aztek. I need to replace my blinker bulb. The top hatch opens, but the bot***** *****dle will not engage .

Category: Pontiac
Expert:  GM Bob replied 2 years ago.
Hello my name is***** for the wait.
I have found this bulletin sounds like your problem.
The only thing you need a scan to the can read data from the Body Control Module (BCM)
If a condition occurs where the rear tail gate will not unlock but rear glass releases, inspect rear lift glass ajar switches in Tech 2 BCM data. Make sure a state of change is seen from both glass ajar switches. If the rear glass is released and glass ajar switch shows closed or inactive, the BCM will not unlock the tail gate actuator. The ajar switch is part of the lock/unlock actuator for tailgate.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I don't understand your answer. (See sentence beginning "the only thing... I have checked the bcm fuse. It is fine. In the past, I had to replace a small black part inside the tailgate. Is that one of two actuators?

But how do I get it open to fix it?

Do I take the inside end gate trim off?

Could it be the latches inside? The problem started when my friend forced my tail gate closed when we had moving boxes in the rear...if that helps you.

Thanks

Mary

Expert:  GM Bob replied 2 years ago.
Sorry
The only thing that is bad you need to have scan tool to read data from the Body Control Module (BCM)
It sounds like he jammed the latch.
Yes you will have to get the trim panel off.
I found this note
Do not engage the child safety switch on the endgate latch. If the endgate is closed with the child safety switch engaged, the endgate will not open unless you remove the endgate trim panel. Removal will damage the endgate trim panel.
Maybe it got flipped on when the gate was slammed
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

I don't have a child safety switch I don't believe. Will the computer my mechanic has that hooks up under the dash find this? The last scan they did fit another problem didn't mention this. Can I ask them to putt in a certain setting?

I am still not understanding the fix.

Can you spell it out to me in a list please?

What EXACTLY do I do? My son has his driver's permit and I don't want him to get a ticket because I can't change my rear blinker.

Thank you!

Expert:  GM Bob replied 2 years ago.
Need to ask your mechanic if his scan tool can read data from the BCM.
This is the tool that plugged in under the dash.

Need to inspect rear lift glass ajar switches in BCM data info of the scan tool. Should display on the scan tool that the lift gate is open.
If it shows the gate is still closed. Than the latch or wire maybe bad in the lift gate.

Let me know what you find and we will go from there.

Thank you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thank you. I will try to do thistomorrow and let you knew.

Expert:  GM Bob replied 2 years ago.
Sounds good

Thank you