Pontiac

Pontiac problems? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Pontiac grandprix: got abs codes b1051 b1071 b1024 1998 grand…

Customer Question
got abs codes b1051 b1071...
got abs codes b1051 b1071 b1024 1998 grand prix 3800 nonsupercharged auto
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Pontiac
5/21/2015
Pontiac Mechanic: Gary, Pontiac Technician replied 3 years ago
Gary
Gary, Pontiac Technician
Welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will do my best to assist you with this problem.
I am sorry for the long wait
the 1051 and 1024 are both saying both the drivers side air bag and the passenger side air bags are showing shorted to out but the 1071 is showing an airbag computer internal failure
how long have you owned this car ?
has anything been done to where now you have those 3 codes ?
and im assuming an air bag light on in the dash
are you looking to fix this yourself ?
or a good idea before it goes into the shop ?
air bag light not on traction light is I am a shop a younger fellow own it maybe install stereo but I don't think so . im puzzled by it
what about sensor on bumper ?
those B codes are air bag codes
when you first turn the key ON does the air bag light come on then blink and shut off ?
comes on blinks and stays on
if I start it it blinks 8 times and stays on
have you followed the code flow charts yet ?
any one of those 3 codes is either one of the air bags or the air bag computer
the code they make you go after first is the B1024
if a radio was put in and now this problem there is a good chance they cut into an air bag wire causing this issue
cut and paste this for the chart to follow
https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=B44D0F00649BC959!1008&authkey=!AH9QMW86w0t-ylo&ithint=folder%2c
When you first turn the ignition switch to the RUN position, the inflatable restraint Sensing and Diagnostic Module (SDM) performs tests to diagnose critical malfunctions within itself. Upon passing these tests IGNITION 1, 23 VLR and the deployment loop voltages are measured to make sure they are within their respective normal voltage ranges. The SDM monitors the voltages at DRIVER SIDE LOW terminal 3 and PASSENGER SIDE LOW terminal 4 to detect shorts to ground in the inflator module circuits. The service wait time is 10 minutes. Refer to ENABLE/DISABLE procedures. See: Body and Frame\Air Bag(s) Arming and Disarming
Conditions for Setting the DTC
The driver and passenger deployment loops are not open.
The passenger deployment loop is not shorted to voltage.
The voltage at PASSENGER SIDE LOW terminal 4 is more than 3.3 volts.
The voltage at DRIVER SIDE LOW terminal 3 is less than 3.3 volts for 500 milliseconds.
The following tests check for this DTC. These tests occur when IGNITION 1 is within the normal operating voltage range.
POWER-ON-When the malfunction is detected in this test, the RESISTANCE MEASUREMENT test will not be performed.
CONTINUOUS MONITORING
Action Taken When the DTC Sets
The SDM sets DTC B1024 and also DTC B1071.
The SDM turns ON the AIR BAG warning lamp.
Conditions for Clearing the MIL/DTC
DTC B1024 is a latched code. You cannot clear a latched code. Repair the malfunction that set this DTC before you replace the SDM.
Diagnostic Aids
A short-to-ground in the inflatable restraint steering wheel module circuit can cause an intermittent condition. A DTC B1024 would be accompanied by DTC B1071. Inspect CKT 347 and CKT 348 carefully for cutting or chafing. A careful inspection of the circuits and components indicated on the DTC B1024 table is essential in order to prevent damage to the replacement inflatable restraint Sensing and Diagnostic Module (SDM). The diagnostic table directs the technician to note the entry value of DRIVER SENSELO. Comparing the value of DRIVER SENSELO can be helpful in determining if an intermittent condition exists.
When measurements are requested in this table, use J 39200 Digital Multimeter with the correct terminal adapter from J 35616-A Connector Test Adapter Kit. When a check for proper connection is requested, refer to Intermittents and Poor Connections. When a wire, connector or terminal repair is requested, use J 38125-A Terminal Repair Kit and refer to Wiring Repair. See: Restraints and Safety Systems\Air Bag Systems\Testing and Inspection\Initial Inspection and Diagnostic Overview\Intermittent Problems See: Restraints and Safety Systems\Air Bag Systems\Service and Repair
Test Description
The numbers below refer to the step numbers on the diagnostic table:
This test determines the driver side low voltage measured by the inflatable restraint Sensing and Diagnostic Module (SDM).
This test isolates the malfunction to one side of the inflatable restraint steering wheel module coil yellow 2-way connector.
This test determines whether the malfunction is due to the inflatable restraint steering wheel module or the module coil.
This test determines whether the malfunction is in CKT 347.
This test determines whether the malfunction is in CKT 348.
NOTICE: When DTC B1018 or B1024 has been set it is necessary to replace the inflatable restraint Sensing and Diagnostic Module (SDM). Setting DTC B1018 or B1024 will also cause DTC B1071 to set. When a scan tool clear codes command is issued and the malfunction is no longer present, DTC B1018 or B1024 and DTC B1071 will remain current. Make sure that the short to ground condition is repaired prior to installing a replacement SDM to avoid damaging the SDM.