Pontiac

Pontiac problems? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Pontiac Montana: I have a 2000 pontiac montana and just had…

Customer Question
I have a 2000 pontiac...
I have a 2000 pontiac montana and just had a receiver hitch put on and wiring done "professionally" and I have parking lights working on the trailer all the time but the blinkers won't work at the same time either the left will work and the right won't or vice versa please the trailer lights work fine I have had a bunch of other vehicles plug into it and works fine please help I plan on going on a camping trip this weekend
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: Pontiac
5/20/2015
Pontiac Mechanic: jazzmaster, ASE Certified Technician replied 3 years ago
jazzmaster
jazzmaster, ASE Certified Technician
hi, this still may be a fault in the wiring even though you had it done professionally done ..
do the 4 way/hazards work ?
if you had no problems before the trailer wiring was done then the issue must be the wiring or a weak ground between the vehicle and trailer ..even though anyone else hooking up to the trailer aren't having problems ..
The reason I ask about the 4 ways is the blinkers and the 4 ways use more amperage and if a ground is weak that will draw of them and cause a problem such as you have ..jazzmaster ...
I haven't checked the hazards but I did wire wheel around where the ground is hooked up and around the hardware where the the lights are mounted on
is the ball on the receiver new ? or painted?
Yes both are new. But I used jumper cables as a better ground to see if it was a ground problem and still didn't work
Could there be a fuse blown somewhere
no I wouldn't think so as you sat they will work one moment and then not work right
Correct
so you need to check the ground to the trailer from your vehicle .
to do this :
hook up the trailer and then actually run a test ground wire ,from the battery ground and touch it to a bare./clean spot on the trailer and see if that helps .
there are testers for the trailer plugs .
it plugs onto your trailer wiring on your vehicle .that makes it a lot easier than a test light .
This way you can see if the issue lies in the wiring ..esp. if you didn't have that problem before .
it may also, be that the flasher unit is weak and can't take the strain of the added amperage of the trailer lights ..
The battery in the hood to the trailer?
I used a battery tester on the battery plug and shows power for everything
the battery in the vehicle with the trailer hooked up,,, to test with that way
hi, did you check with the trailer hooked up for a ground on the trailer .?
or you can run a ground wire from the vehicle battery to the trailer frame and see if that helps the problem ..