Pontiac

Pontiac Problems? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Pontiac

Pontiac: , 2003 pontiac grand am v6 fires up but it seems

Customer Question
Hi, 2003 pontiac grand am...
Hi, 2003 pontiac grand am v6 fires up but it seems that when the engine gets hot above 200 degrees it wont fire up. what could be the problem?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Pontiac
5/16/2015
Pontiac Mechanic: Amedee, Pontiac Technician replied 2 years ago
Amedee
Amedee, Pontiac Technician
Hello and welcome!
Thank you for requesting me!
There are several things that it could be. Here is a list if the most common causes.
Fuel pump
Fuel pressure regulator
Engine coolant temp sensor
Crankshaft position sensor
Ignition control module
I hope this helps! Please don't forget to rate.
Customer
fuel pump is good just changed the fuel pressure regulator. where should I start?
I would start by checking for spark when the condition occurs.
If there is spark, I would go after the temp sensor, TPS MAP/MAF sensor.
If there is no spark when this happens, I would go after the ignition system.. crank sensor and ignition module.
So you would start by checking for spark when this condition occurs. That will give you a direction to go in.
Customer
ok I do have spark when the engine is hot and wont start. When i run the engine and it warms up 225 degrees I turn it off and try to start it again and it wants to start almost like a misfire but just wont start all the way after trying to restart the engine a couple of times it just cranks over no indication that the engine is actually firing. then I let it sit and cool down under 200 degrees and it will start up. also I am getting a code (P0327 Knock sensor 1 circuit low input)
The knock sensor code should not cause the no start condition.
I suspect this is a lack of fuel causing this issue.
I would be willing to bet that it is caused by one of those fuel sensors I mentioned before.
ECT, MAP or MAF.
Customer
just remembered I changed the MAP sensor. So that only leave the ECT and the MAF How do I go about diagnosing these two?
You would have to check the signals from sensors using a scan tool or a voltmeter.
I would check the signal from these sensors when the problem is acting up to ensure to pinpoint the problem correctly.
Glad I can help! Please don't forget to rate!!
Have a great day!!
Customer
I have both the scan tool and voltmeter. When I checked with the scan tool it seemed as if I was getting a correct reading for the ECT. But how would either of these cause a problem only when its hot?
If the sensor was "skewed" it will not send the correct signal back to the PCM when hot.
Customer
Ok I am getting data from the MAF and ECT where do I go from here
Replace the bad sensor. That is your next step.
Well all sensors mentioned seem to be working just fine
Don't forget to check the TPS and aur intake temp sensor.
Hello!
It'sCustomerfrom just answer. I am just checking in to see how things are going and to see if you need any further assistance?
Let me know!
Customer
Hello!
Let me know!
Customer
Amedee
Amedee
Amedee, Pontiac Technician