sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

I have a 2000 TA I have replaced the steering box power steering

Customer Question

I have a 2000 TA I have replaced the steering box power steering unit and it still whines after it warms up and becomes frothy. I read some where that there is a reservoir problem is that true
Submitted: 2 years ago via CarComplaints.com.
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 2 years ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!
The problem could be air being drawn into the system from a leaking line fitting or a pinhole in a line. A pinhole in a return line can draw air into the system but not leak externally.
I'm assuming the problem was there before the rack was replaced. If the problem actually started when the rack was replaced then it would be the most likely cause.
It's definitely possible that the reservoir or the seals between it and the pump are causing air to be drawn into the system.
The pump itself is the most likely cause for this. I've seen dozens of issues with aftermarket pumps, if an aftermarket replacement was installed there is a very good chance it's still the problem.