Tim Mohr, ASE MASTER TECH
Experience:  30 YRS EXPERIENCE, FOREIGN AND DOMESTIC, GAS AND DEISEL
17454363

Pontiac Montana: Intermediate steering shaft removal

Customer Question

Intermediate steering shaft removal
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 2 years ago.
Hi, my name is ***** ***** get the boot up, you need to loosen the rear bolts in the subframe about an inch, dont take them all the way out, just about an inch, this will lower the rack and give you enough room to pull the boot up,Tim
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Unfortunately, I already knew to do that and it really is not useful. The problem is the stiffness of the boot. I can push it up a little bit, but I can't get it up enough to get a wrench on the bolt, and even if I could loosen the bolt without the boot being up above the bolt there will not be enough room to remove the bolt. I have pushed and pulled with every tool I have to try to get it out if the way, but the boot will fold into the bolt and I can't keep the boot puffed out. Why does this boot need to be so stiff? Why not use a collapsible boot like the tie rod boots. Does that boot need to be sealed?
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 2 years ago.
this boot is just a dust boot, and reall does nt keep moisture out, you cn cut it and remove the bolt, but even if you replace it with a new one, they are very stiff, but it wont hurt not having this boot sealed,Tim