Gary
Gary, Pontiac Technician
Experience:  15 years GM master tech/15 years ASE master
19513769

Pontiac Sunfire GT: I have a 2000 sunfire Pontiac gt. I only

Customer Question

I have a 2000 sunfire Pontiac gt. I only have a spare key with no chip. The car won't start or crank. But the security Light stays blinking. What's wrong? What can I do to advoid taking it to the shop. How do I reset it or bypass it? I just want it running. Thank you.
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  Gary replied 2 years ago.
Welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will do my best to assist you with this problem.
the chip is actually in the head of the key
to try to relearn this spare key try this here
do not skip a step and if you mess up just start over
it should take @ 30 minutes
if this does NOT work bring your spare key to a key shop or a place that makes auto keys and have them cut you a new key on a PK3 key black then try the relearn again
Turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF.
Attempt to start the engine, then release the key to ON (vehicle will not start).
Observe the SECURITY telltale, after approximately 10 minutes the telltale will turn OFF
Turn OFF the ignition, and wait 5 seconds.
Repeat steps 1 through 4 two more times for a total of 3 cycles/30 minutes (the vehicle is now ready to relearn the Passlock(TM) Sensor Data Code and/or passwords on the next ignition switch transition from OFF to CRANK).
IMPORTANT: The vehicle learns the Passlock (TM) Sensor Data Code and/or password ***** the next ignition switch transition from OFF to CRANK. You must turn the ignition OFF before attempting to start the vehicle.
Start the engine (the vehicle has now learned the Passlock(TM) Sensor Data Code and/or password).