FIXITMAN
FIXITMAN, Mater Technician
Experience:  ASE MASTER CERTIFIED, AA DEGREE AUTO/DIESEL TECH
1627031

Got a 2003 Pontiac grand prix se 3.1 threw a code po404 car

Customer Question

got a 2003 Pontiac grand prix se 3.1 threw a code po404 car wont start. new egr valve fuel pump mass air flow sensor intake gasket changed... car idled horribly then just wouldn't start
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 2 years ago.
Hello, my name is Bobby. Thank you for the question. Can you tell me if you hear a buzzing from the fuel pump when you turn the key on? How many miles are on the vehicle?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
150,000 and the fuel pump isn't humming. When I left in the car it started fine I got to car wash shut if off. I raised the hood to put in antifreeze and wiggled my wiring harness by the egr valve and the mass air flow sensor. Just to be sure they were on real good. I replaced the fuel pump 2 months ago. I still have a p0404 and a p0171 code on in the car. checked the theft lock deal and the fuses and relays are ok.
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 2 years ago.
Thank you. So the security light is not on while cranking the engine?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No
Expert:  FIXITMAN replied 2 years ago.
It sounds like the fuel pump is not coming on. If you cannot hear a buzzing see if the fuel pump relay in the fuse box under the hood makes a clicking noise when the key is first turned on. The relay may be failing or it may be a failing ignition switch.