Pontiac

Pontiac problems? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Pontiac grand prix: If the battery is dead on a Pontiac Grand…

If the battery is dead...
If the battery is dead on a Pontiac Grand Prix, does the key not work due to the security system? The key won't open the car but the car has not been driven months.
2/2/2015
Pontiac Mechanic: Mark, ASE Certified Technician replied 7 years ago
Mark
Mark, ASE Certified Technician
Greetings and welcome to Just Answer. .
Just so we're communicating at the highest level here, I might ask you a few questions so I fully understand what you're talking about. If I should happen to be "offline" when you reply, please give me a chance to respond. I usually will do so with-in 10-12 hrs. (Usually sooner) If I cannot answer your question, or help you to your satisfaction, I will "opt" out and give another tech the opportunity to assist you.
The dead battery and security system has nothing to do with the "mechanical" end of using a key to open a door. Your physical door key should insert into the lock cylinder of the door and turn the cylinder to unlock the door. Again, the battery, the security system, and all electrical aspects of opening the door, has nothing to do with the key.
If you can't turn the lock cylinder with your key, then the cylinder is either rusted and frozen, the cylinder is worn out, the key is worn out, you have the wrong key, etc. etc.....
Maybe try spraying some WD40 inside the lock cylinder if things seem rusted or frozen and don't want to turn.
Now, you "keyless" entry will not work, obviously. The battery is dead. And when you charge the battery, or replace the battery, you vehicle should start and it shouldn't effect the "security" system. As long as you are using the correct key from the last time it DID work.
Let me know if you have any further questions.
Mark
Mark, ASE Certified Technician