Pontiac

Pontiac Problems? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Pontiac

Pontiac Bonneville: I have a 97 Bonneville with manual vent…

I have a 97 Bonneville...
I have a 97 Bonneville with manual vent controls... I recently changed the heater blower motor. after completion the vent selector seems to no longer work. Prior to the blower motor change everything seemed to work fine. I have basically just a slight breeze on all selections.
1/2/2014
Virtual Technician
Virtual Technician, ASE Certified Technician

Virtual Technician :

Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try to help you with your blower issue. When you replaced the blower, did it have a plug in connector or just 2 bare wires you had to splice into the original connector?

Virtual Technician :

Do all of your speeds work and does it seem to blow as hard as it should?

Customer:

it had a connector. And yes it seems to blow just as hard on all speeds.

Virtual Technician :

When you go to defrost - do you feel anything up there?

Customer:

just a very slight breeze. just as all other selections / settings

Virtual Technician :

Ok, let me look up the vent controls - hold tight.

Customer:

I thought that I might have a bad blower motor so I had to returned the new one with another new one. but still the problem persists.

Virtual Technician :

Do you have manual or electronic controls?

Customer:

manual turn style controls.

Virtual Technician :

ok. Let me find a picture

Virtual Technician :

Here is a quick description of the mode door and a vacuum hose for you to check while I research the system ///

Mode Door

The position of the this door determines how much air will be diverted to the floor outlets. A vacuum actuator controls the position of the door. The vacuum actuator is located to the right of the accelerator pedal, on the heater case. A solenoid in the programmer controls vacuum supply to the actuator.

Virtual Technician :

Now, you had mentioned in your original post that there was a "Slight Breeze". DO you mean that the force of the air is insufficient at all times?

Customer:

http://thumbs4.ebaystatic.com/d/l225/m/mfPApmX8pMYv1DFmXamSIKw.jpg

Customer:

yes the air flow is insufficient at all speeds of the blower motor.

Virtual Technician :

Thank you for the picture. Ok. Let's start with the blower speed issue then we'll go to mode door operation (since it worked until blower was changed) When you turn the blower on speed 1 - do you feel the blower working - not what is coming out of the vents but put your hand on the actual motor itself and you should feel it vibrate as you atsrt at 1 and move up to speed 4 - does it vibrate more?

Virtual Technician :

Another quick test: put mode control on "dash" vents, close all the vents you can except for the vent on the upper right of dash turn blower on HIGH and put 1 piece of toilet paper against the vent - does it blow away?

Customer:

yes there is more vibration on number 4 setting then there is on number 1. as for the toilet paper test it does blow it but very slightly

Virtual Technician :

Ok, so the motor is not running backwards. Here is the vacuum diagram that we are going to need to check to make sure the mode doors are working properly.

Full Size Image

Virtual Technician :

Wait - picture did not go through

Virtual Technician :

Full Size Image
This website is having an issue with the pictures - let me try something else

Our chat has ended, but you can still continue to ask me questions here until you are satisfied with your answer. Come back to this page to view our conversation and any other new information.

What happens now?

I had to convert this to get the picture to you.

We will start with checking the vacuum supply in the engine compartment.

Look over the picture and tell me when you're ready to start testing.

Thanks,

Rich

Did the picture show on your end?
Virtual Technician

the pic showed on my end. Was able to check the Violet vacuum hose on the back of the selector switch. Seemed to have good vacuum. you said something earlier that made me think is it possible that the blower motors that I have are wired improperly? as in backwards.

I have run into that before but when they run backwards then the toilet paper is sucked against the vent - not blown away from it.

Did you have time to check one of the other actuators for vacuum?

Adam,
Just checking in to see if you found anything.
Let me know and we'll go from there.
Have a great night,
Rich

I won't have time to work on this till Sunday/Monday.... But I did want some clarification... You stated earlier. "A solenoid in the programmer controls vacuum supply to the actuator.". Just wondering where the programmer is located... As i have read some forums that mention a fix with in the programmer.

That was for the electric/vacuum control ones.

I mentioned that before you sent me the picture clarifying which head unit you had.

The easiest way to make sure we have good door/controller operation is if you have a vacuum gun, disconnect the vacuum block from the rear of the control head and using one of the adapters that comes with the vacuum gun, connect it to the blue port.

Start the engine and pump the gun until you reach 5 inches of vacuum - the air flow should change from defrost to either vents and/or floor.

If you don't have a vacuum gun, you can usually pick one up at AutoZone on their "Loan A Tool" program.

Let me know if you have any questions about what we are doing.

Rich

Please note: Not every answer I give you is something you were hoping to hear, even though it is true. Such as: (it's more expensive than you wanted to spend, or you will need to have a professional repair shop do the diagnostics and /or repairs due to complexity reasons).

Virtual Technician
Virtual Technician