Pontiac

Pontiac Problems? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Pontiac

pontiac torrent: My 2006 Pontiac Torrent keeps overheating.

My 2006 Pontiac Torrent keeps...
My 2006 Pontiac Torrent keeps overheating. The car first started overheating whenever it sat idle. I have since replaced water pump. still overheated.
I took the thermostat out and it still over heats. I flushed the system and water flows through the radiator and block just fine.
Both the fans come on and run for about 5 min. after shutting off the motor. the primary fan comes on as it should
4/27/2013
Dave Nova
Dave Nova, Pontiac Technician
Hello and thank you for trusting me with your question. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do my best to help you with your Pontiac problem.

What temperature does the engine go up to when idling? What temperature does it run at when driving down the road?

When ideling it goes all the way till the light comes on unless i put it in neutral and keep the RPM at 2000 - 2500

When going down the road when the RPM is at least 2000 it stays right in the middle or a bit below. (the gage does not read by degrees)

Has all air been properly bled from the cooling system?

i have driven it a few times today and after it cools i pop the cap off the over flow.

Did you have any coolant leak problems prior to the overheating issues?

no

Disconnect the coolant temperature sensor and start the engine. Do the fans run?

where is that sensor?

On top of the throttle body, just ahead of the throttle plate.

my book says it is located on the drivers side of the rear cylinder head ???

I disconnected it and when i started the engin both fans came on

Sorry, was quoting mass airflow location for another vehicle. Coolant temperature sensor is located in the rear cylinder head.

graphic

I diconected it and both fans came on right away. then i reconected it and started the car and let it idel and the stayed off until it got hot and then they both came on but the temp kept going up.

I am running with just water and no thermastat. I have a new one but didn't want to put it in if that is not the problem. the one i took out opened in a pot of boiling water.

If the engine continues to overheat even with the fans on, most of the time this is an indication of leaking head gaskets. If all air is out of the system and the fans are operational, there is not much else that will cause overheating on the 3.4 engine. You can get a test kit at your local auto parts store to test for the presence of combustion gases in the cooling system.
Dave Nova
Dave Nova, Pontiac Technician
Dave Nova
Dave Nova
Dave Nova, Pontiac Technician