autodoc_2000
autodoc_2000, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  AC Delco Tss Reair Technician ASE Master Certified
157591

What does "key fob battery low" mean?

This indicates that the battery inside the key fob is in need of being replaced. You just need to separate the key fob and check to see what the battery number is and buy one to replace it. The computer will see the higher voltage in the key fob and the message will go away. I have changed the battery on Pontiac G6's for this indicator.

Read full interaction below »

What does "key fob battery low" mean? How do I fix it? It has a brand new battery in it.

Category: Pontiac

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Please explain what the key fob is. I hope it isn't my keyless remote because that has a brand new battery as well.

Yes it is the keyless remote. Have you change the battery on all of them?

If so you may have gotten a bad one.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Both remotes have good batteries (I thought). One tested fine and the other tested "dead" so it got replaced. Both remotes work well right now. I did use a dab of silicone glue to hold the clip that supports the battery in place, in one remote. We use just a dab of silicone glue in the computers at work witout any problems. could it be a problem here?

Is this the metal u shaped piece inside the key fob that you glued? If so I take it that it is broken off at one end. Is that correct?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes, the metal u-shaped piece came apart from the computer board but doesn't appear to be broken. I fit it into place and put a dab of silicone glue where it attaches to hold it. 24 hours later put the new battery in and it was back in service.

This piece separates from the computer board all the time. The problem is the connection made is not as good as the original and may not be allow the correct amount of voltage to the circuit board.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Sounds like my repair only gets a "B". Thats ok. When it dies, how do you recommend that I fix it?

The only fix that I know of is replacing the key fob.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks for your time. You have been very helpful.