Pontiac

Pontiac Problems? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Pontiac

G6: turn car back on and power steering is back to

My daughters 07 G6, has...
My daughters 07 G6, has had on and off steering issues.. Researching, the G6, power steering issues are all too common.. I am quite familiar with working on cars, but would like to obtain some solid advice, if my next step would truly provide me the best opportunity to solve the problem..
Problem: Power Steering error on menu display, turn the car over and the steering feels like manual steering.. Turn off, turn car back on and power steering is back to norma... One time, while my daughter was driving, the steering locked up... In researching, I truly thought that the issue was the Steering Sensor.. I replaced, but the power steering does not activate now.. It is like the car has only manual steering.. I have checked voltage at the power in, it is good.. I have checked the wiring at the connector that has four tan wires and one pink.. Connection is good.. At this point, I believe the control module is bad.. I believe the motor is good... I have found a replacement power steering assist motor. I believe this will solve the problem, but not quite sure.. The dealer wants way too much and I can easily replace on my own.. Would it be possible to obtain the pin layout of the connect that has the four tan wires and the one pink wire? Your feedback is most appreciated.. Thank you.. Mike
5/31/2012
Bill
Bill, Pontiac Technician

Welcome to just answer.com. I'm here to help you and your 100% satisfaction is my goal. Please click ACCEPT if you are satisfied with my answers.

Here is the schematics for the steering system.

I do need to tell you however that while replacing the motor/module assembly is not difficult, there are several setup procedures involved that a GM scan tool is necessary for. The system will not work properly unless they are completed. There is no serviceable steering sensor in the column related to the steering system.

Bill

graphic

Ironically, Gm has a special warranty policy on 05, 06, and 08 vehicles but not on the 07. I cannot answer why there is none on the 2007. The warranty on the other years was extended to 10 years and 150,000 miles.

Thanks for the response.. Confused on the sensor comment.. Yes, not serviceable, but replaceable.. I was thinking what you stated that there maybe some sequence to resetting the control module.. In reading your comments, it maybe best for me to take to the dealer, as I do not have a specific GM scan tool... So, would your advice we to take to a dealer? Thanks, MK

The "steering sensor" you replaced is for the abs/tcs system and is not related to the power steering. The torque sensor in the column is part of the column and not available separately other than replacing the column assembly.

You may want to call GM and ask why the 07 is not covered. The number will be in the back of your owners manual and it is below as well.

Here is a copy of the technical service bulletin.

xTooltipElement

#10183A: Special Coverage Adjustment - Power Steering Assist - (May 23, 2012)

Subject:10183A - Special Coverage Adjustment - Power Steering Assist
Models:2005-2006 Chevrolet Malibu, Malibu Maxx
2008 Chevrolet Malibu, Malibu Maxx
2005-2006 Pontiac G6
2008 Pontiac G6
2008 Saturn AURA

The mileage limit for this special coverage has been extended to 150,000 miles (240,000 km). Please discard all copies of bulletin 10183, issued July 2010.

Condition

Some customers of 2005-2006 model year Chevrolet Malibu, Malibu Maxx; Pontiac G6 vehicles, and 2008 model year Chevrolet Malibu, Malibu Maxx; Pontiac G6; and Saturn AURA vehicles equipped with electric power steering may experience a loss of power steering assist caused by electrical input signals within the steering column assembly. If the power steering assist is lost, a chime will be heard and the Driver Information Center will display a "Power Steering" warning message. On some vehicles, the Service Vehicle Soon light will also illuminate. The vehicle can still be steered in a safe manner but will require greater driver effort at low vehicle speeds or when stopped.

Special Coverage Adjustment

This special coverage covers the condition described above for a period of 10 years or 150,000 miles (240,000 km), whichever occurs first, from the date the vehicle was originally placed in service, regardless of ownership.

On 2005 & 2006 model year vehicles, dealers are to replace the steering column. On 2008 model year vehicles, dealers are to replace the power steering motor control module. The repairs will be made at no charge to the customer.

For vehicles covered by Vehicle Service Contracts, all eligible claims with repair orders on or after July 21, 2010 are covered by this special coverage and must be submitted using the labor operation codes provided with this bulletin. Claims with repair orders prior to July 21, 2010 must be submitted to the Service Contract provider.

Vehicles Involved

All involved vehicles are identified by Vehicle Identification Number on the Applicable Warranties section in GM Global Warranty Management system. Dealership service personnel should always check this site to confirm vehicle involvement prior to beginning any required inspections and/or repairs. It is important to routinely use this tool to verify eligibility because not all similar vehicles may be involved regardless of description or option content.

Parts Information

Parts required to complete this special coverage are to be obtained from General Motors Customer Care and Aftersales (GMCC&A).

Part Number

Description

Qty/ Vehicle

25933396

Column, Strg (2005-2006 MY)

1

20876912

Module, Elek P/S Mot Cont (2008 MY)

1

Customer Notification

Customers will be notified of the Special Policy by General Motors (see copy of owner letter included with this bulletin).

Service Procedure

Steering Column Replacement - 2005 and 2006 Model Year Vehicles

1. Remove the steering column. Refer to Steering Column Replacement in SI.
2. Transfer the power steering motor control module to the new steering column.
3. Install the new steering column. Refer to Steering Column Replacement in SI

Electric Power Steering Motor Control Module Replacement - 2008 Model Year Vehicles

1. Remove the power steering assist motor. Refer to Power Steering Assist Motor Replacement in SI.
2. Install the new power steering assist motor. Refer to Power Steering Assist Motor Replacement in SI.

Warranty Transaction Information

Submit a transaction using the table below.

* The amount identified in "Net Item" should represent the dollar amount reimbursed to the customer.

Customer Reimbursment - For US

All customer requests for reimbursement for previous repairs for the special coverage condition will be handled by the Customer Assistance Center, not by dealers.

A General Motors Customer Reimbursement Procedure and Claim Form is included with the customer letter.

Important: Refer to the GM Service Policies and Procedures Manual, section 6.1.12, for specific procedures regarding customer reimbursement and the form.

Customer Reimbursement - For Canada and Export

Customer requests for reimbursement of previously paid repairs to correct the condition described in this bulletin are to be submitted to the dealer prior to or by August 31, 2011. Repairs must have occurred within the 10 years of the date the vehicle was originally placed in service, or 160,000 km, whichever occurs first.

When a customer requests reimbursement, they must provide the following:

Proof of ownership at time of repair.
Original paid receipt confirming the amount of unreimbursed repair expense(s) (including Service Contract deductibles), a description of the repair, and the person or entity performing the repair.

If the work was done by someone other than a GM dealership, the amount of reimbursement will be limited to the amount that the repair would have cost GM to have it completed by a GM dealership.

Courtesy Transportation - For US and Canada

The General Motors Courtesy Transportation program is intended to minimize customer inconvenience when a vehicle requires a repair that is covered by the New Vehicle Limited Warranties. The availability of courtesy transportation to customers whose vehicles are within the warranty coverage period and involved in a product program is very important in maintaining customer satisfaction. Dealers are to ensure that these customers understand that shuttle service or some other form of courtesy transportation is available and will be provided at no charge. Dealers should refer to the General Motors Service Policies and Procedures Manual for Courtesy Transportation guidelines.

June 2012

Dear General Motors Customer:

As the owner of a 2005-2006 model year Chevrolet Malibu, Malibu Maxx; Pontiac G6 vehicle, or 2008 model year Chevrolet Malibu, Malibu Maxx; Pontiac G6: or Saturn AURA vehicle equipped with electric power steering, your satisfaction with our product is very important to us. Previously, you may have received a letter from GM extending the warranty coverage on your vehicle for the loss of power steering assist caused by electrical input signals within the steering column assembly. This letter is being sent to inform you that we have extended that coverage. Details of this warranty coverage extension are provided below.

Some 2005-2006 model year Chevrolet Malibu, Malibu Maxx; Pontiac G6 vehicles, and 2008 model year Chevrolet Malibu, Malibu Maxx; Pontiac G6; and Saturn AURA vehicles, equipped with electric power steering, may have a condition where there is a loss of power steering assist caused by electrical input signals within the steering column assembly. If the power steering assist is lost, a chime will be heard and the Driver Information Center will display a "Power Steering" warning message. On some vehicles, the Service Vehicle Soon light will also illuminate. The vehicle can still be steered in a safe manner but will require greater driver effort at low vehicle speeds or when stopped.

Do not take your vehicle to your GM dealer as a result of this letter unless you believe that your vehicle has the condition as described above.

What We Have Done: General Motors is providing owners with additional protection for the loss power steering assist caused by electrical input signals within the steering column assembly. If this condition occurs on your 2005-2006 model year Chevrolet Malibu, Malibu Maxx; Pontiac G6 vehicle, or 2008 model year Chevrolet Malibu, Malibu Maxx; Pontiac G6: or Saturn AURA vehicle within 10 years of the date your vehicle was originally placed in service or 150,000 miles (240,000 km), whichever occurs first, the condition will be repaired for you at no charge. Diagnosis or repair for conditions other than the condition described above is not covered under this special coverage program.

What You Should Do: Repairs and adjustments qualifying under this special coverage must be performed by a General Motors dealer. You may want to contact your GM dealer to find out how long they will need to have your vehicle so that you may schedule the appointment at a time that is convenient for you. This will also allow your dealer to order parts if they are not already in stock. Keep this letter with your other important glove box literature for future reference.

Reimbursement: The enclosed form explains what reimbursement is available and how to request reimbursement if you have paid for repairs for the special coverage condition. Your request for reimbursement, including the information and documents mentioned on the enclosed form, must be received by GM by June 30, 2013.

If you have any questions or need any assistance to better understand related repairs, please contact your dealer. If you have questions related to a potential reimbursement, please contact the appropriate Customer Assistance Center at the number listed below.

Division

Number

Text Telephones (TTY)

Chevrolet

1-800-630-2438

1-800-833-2438

Pontiac

1-800-620-7668

1-800-833-7668

Saturn

1-800-972-8876

1-800-833-6000

Guam

1-671-648-8450

Puerto Rico - English

1-800-496-9992

Puerto Rico - Español

1-800-496-9993

Virgin Islands

1-800-496-9994

We are sorry for any inconvenience you may experience; however we have taken this action in the interest of your continued satisfaction with our products.

Jim Moloney

General Director,

Customer and Relationship Services

Enclosure

10183-2

.

xTooltipElement

Service Information

Power Steering Control Module Programming and Setup

Power Steering Control Module (PSCM) Setup

After replacing the power steering motor and module assembly the following 3 procedures must be performed. After replacing the steering column assembly only the steering position sensor and the torque sensor calibration procedures must be performed. The steering position sensor and torque sensor calibration procedures should also be performed after a suspension alignment. Certain steering symptoms can be corrected by performing the steering position sensor and torque sensor calibration procedures such as:

Poor, or uneven return to center
Poor, or uneven on center feel

Steering Position Sensor Calibration

1. Install the scan tool.
2. Turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF.
3. Center the steering wheel.
4. With the scan tool select Module Setup.
5. Select Steering Position Sensor Calibration and press the Enter key. The scan tool screen will flash Calibration in Progress then display Calibration Complete.
6. Press the exit key.
7. Use the scan tool in order to clear any EPS DTCs.
Important: After turning OFF the ignition, allow 25 seconds of wait time before performing any procedures that require the vehicles battery to be disconnected, or module memory loss may occur.
8. Turn OFF the ignition.

Torque Sensor Calibration

1. Install the scan tool.
Important: After centering the steering wheel, remove hands and other objects from the steering wheel and ensure the suspension is relaxed and no bias, or uneven force is being applied to the steering system.
3. Center the steering wheel.
5. Select Torque Sensor Calibration and press the Enter key. The scan tool screen will flash Calibration in Progress, then display Calibration Complete.
6. Press the exit key
7. Use the scan tool in order to clear any EPS DTCs
8. Turn OFF the ignition.

Steering Tuning Selection

1. Install a scan tool.
3. With the scan tool select Module Setup.
4. Select Steering Tuning Selection and press the enter key. The scan tool screen will flash Selection in Progress, then display Selection Complete.
5. Press the exit key.
6. Use the scan tool in order to clear any EPS DTCs.
7. Turn OFF the ignition.
Bill
Bill, Pontiac Technician
Bill
Bill
Bill, Pontiac Technician