Pontiac

Pontiac Problems? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Pontiac

2005 pontiac sunfire: 2.2l..timing chain tensioner..intake..exhaust

Customer Question
I need instructions on setting...
I need instructions on setting the timing for a 2.2l dual cam engine for a 2005 pontiac sunfire. The timing chain tensioner broke and it has skipped timing. The intake cam is off position and so is the exhaust cam. I know how to get TDC, but i don't know what position the cams should be in.
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Pontiac
5/24/2012
Pontiac Mechanic: George H., ASE Certified Technician replied 5 years ago
George H.
George H., ASE Certified Technician

Hello I will help you with your question,

The complete chain remove and install is below, about 3/4 of the way through you will see the camshaft gear markings being aligned with the colored links on the chain.

Click here for procedure

Look this over and let me know what questions you have

Thank you

I can't look at the drop box, it has an error of 404

Lets try again, it is a huge .pdf and takes some time to upload.

Click here

Let me know if you can get that

Thanks

Do i need to create a drop box? Because the same error keeps popping up.

No, it should just load as a .pdf and prompt you to open or save. Choose save when you get that far.

Try one more time with just the install instructions. That will cut the size down

Click here

Let me know if that works

Thanks

I tried and i even created an account in dropbox, but nothing is working, it's the same error code. can you find out from Justanswer on what is going on?

I will please give me a few minutes, I will post when I have a solution.

okay, because i all i get is a an error and some kind of box that says dropbox

Looks like I have a problem with my cable that is slowing my upload speed to the point it is unusable. I will OPT OUT of your question to open it to all the experts in the hope one of them will be able to post the information for you. If they do not I will upload it as soon as I am able

Sorry

Try this link before I opt out it is a different source

Click here

Let me know if that works for you

Thanks for your patience

I tried the link and i try download but nothing comes up. Do i have to sign up for this one also? because it won't show me anything.

No you do not and I am so sorry that this is not working for you.

I am going to OPT OUT and I am sure another expert will pick up your question

Sorry

Thanks for trying, you couldn't have just emailed the file as compressed file?
Pontiac Mechanic: MrDiag, ASE Certified Tech replied 5 years ago
MrDiag
MrDiag, ASE Certified Tech
Hi, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I am here to answer your Pontiac questions. Please provide as much information as possible so I can better assist you.

Are you able to see the uniquely colored links on the timing chain? There are 3 that are a different color than the rest. You will need to be able to see them in order to set the timing.

Let me know and we can move on from there.
yes i can see them, but i have removed the timing chain already
Ok. When you put the chain back in, the three unique colored links will need to line up with the marks on the crank and cams gears. I will try to post a picture of this.
The intake cam is off position and so is the exhaust cam and i don't know where they should be. I know the crankshaft should be on TDC, i just can't match the cams and the crank to the chain (especially the cams).
Let me know if you are able to view that picture. You might need to refresh the page.
I can view the picture, but how will i know that the cams are facing the right way. Where do i turn each cam to get the timing right? In other words if the crank is in TDC then which way will the two cams be?
Sorry, I too am having some technical difficulties trying to post the lengthy procedure.
There are marks on the cams that wil align with the links on the chain. Put the chain around the intake camshaft sprocket with the timing XXXXX XXXXXned up with 1 of the matching uniquely colored links. (Note the diamond shape by the intake mark on each cam gear and the triangle by the exhaust mark.
You want use the intake mark on intake gear and exhaust mark on exhaust gear, diamond is for intake and triangle for exhaust.)
The mark on the crank should be in the 5 o'clock position, align that with the 1 unique colored link on the chain. (The two other unique links are a different color than this one but matching each other.)
Next, install the chain on the exhaust camshaft sprocket, lining up the mark with the last unique link. I hope this helps. Let me know if you need more information.
are you telling me that the marks on the timing chain will automatically align with the intake and the exhaust gear? okay let's get back to the beginning, how do i know which is my intake and which is my exhaust gear? They both have intake and exhaust on them. Can i get a picture of this please.
I am sorry but I can't seem to be able to post them. I have been trying but the ones I posted are the only ones that will upload.

I will have to opt out and let another expert help you. Again, very sorry.
Please do not respond until another expert takes your question so it will remain open to other experts, thanks.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
incomplete and i was unable to get my last question answered. which is the intake gear and cam and which is the exhaust gear and cam. In other words, facing the timing chain, how do i know which is which, since they both have intake and exhaust holes on the gears?

I can answer that for you, on the intake cam use the intake marking on the gear to align with the colored link and on the exhaust cam use the exhaust marking. The exhaust cam is on the side of the engine with the exhaust manifold

Lets try the procedure once more

Click here

Let me know if it works

Thanks

yes sir i can see it and that helps, i will accept your answer and i will try it. Can you still answer questions after i accept or will that be a problem?

Yes just reply to this thread and I will be notified. There was an issue with uploading the file but I am glad you have it now.

Please let me know what I can do to help

Thanks

George H.
George H., ASE Certified Technician
George H.
George H.
George H., ASE Certified Technician