Pontiac

Pontiac Problems? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Pontiac

2007 Pontiac G6: replace both front lower ball joints..big job

Customer Question
I have a 2007 Pontiac...
I have a 2007 Pontiac G6 and I need to replace both front lower ball joints. In order to replace them, they come with the ball joint attached to whole armature use they donot come seperate. I was going to have a mechanic's shop do it but they wanted a lot of money for labor and parts so I was thinking of buying the parts and doing it myself, so I found the parts for a lot cheaper then the shop would charge but now that I got under and looked at it closer, it looks like a pretty big job. My Question is do you think that a back yard mechanic like myself could mybe do this or would you definitly bring it in, also is it a must to have a front end alignment when a person replaces these parts.
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Pontiac
4/1/2012
Pontiac Mechanic: Doug, ASE Certified Technician replied 5 years ago
Doug
Doug, ASE Certified Technician

Thank you for using justanswer.com,I look forward to helping you, Doug.

Yes you will need a front end alignment after repairs are done , as far as you doing repairs, I would go by my gut feeling , otherwise saying if you do not feel comfortable I would send it out for repairs, Doug

There is a stableizer bar that is in the way near the back of the part that I have to replace, once I take the bolts out of the rear of the part that I have to replace it looks like I will not be able to slide the old part out with that stableizer bar in the way. Is there a trick to moving that up and out of the way. The bar runs from one side and behind the motor to the other side.
Once you have taken both stabilizer link bolts out , you should be able to push arm up then remove lower control arm. Doug

Just one more question there Doug, on the left side of the control arm, the bolt that secures the control arm to the frame, it looks like once I loosen the bolt it dosn't look like it will slide out far enough to be able to pull the old part out, It looks like it will hit the rubber engine mount before it clears the bracket enough to take out the old control arm.

Any idea's on that senareo?

You will need to remove transmission mount and engine mount ,to do this repair I would recommend you do one side at a time to keep engine and trans in place, you can also use a board and floor jack to hold engine up while mount is removed . Doug
Hi checking in to see if you need any more help if you don't pleas accept, Doug
Doug
Doug, ASE Certified Technician
Doug
Doug
Doug, ASE Certified Technician