Pontiac

Pontiac Problems? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Pontiac

2005 grand am won't turn over. Replaced battery. starter

w/solenoid and starter relay but...
2005 grand am won't turn over. Replaced battery. starter w/solenoid and starter relay but still nothing. What else is there?
3/25/2012
Mauricio
Mauricio, Pontiac Mechanic

Hello my name is Mauricio

Try to use another key to start the car.

Do you have any light on the dash on, like a security light flashing?

I'm not at the car now but don't remember seeing any security lights flashing. The key I used yesterday did operate everything except the starter though. Guess I need to bring the car home before we start this process and II'll try another key while I'm at it. Will it hurt anything if I use a screwdriver or something to bypass the solenoid and start the car so I don't have to tow it?

You can try to do that and see if the car will run, sometimes if you have problems if the security system the computer shut down the injectors.
Mauricio
Mauricio, Pontiac Mechanic
Going to get the car now. Back to you in a little while.

Let me know I'll be here.

Security light is flashing. Does that mean its the computer?
1. Do a theft system relearn procedure. Verify the battery is in good condition and is fully charged, as this procedure takes about 30-35 minutes.

2. Turn the key briefly to the "Crank" position, then release to the "On" position.

3. Leave the ignition "On" for 10-11 minutes. At the end of the time period, turn the key to the "OFF" position for about 15 seconds, then repeat this exact procedure an additional two times.
Hello Just follow up on the Pontiac. Let me know if you still need more assistance.Thanks
Mauricio
Mauricio
Mauricio, Pontiac Mechanic