Pete, Pontiac Technician
Experience:  17 Years Pontiac Technician and training.
14928985

1995 grand am: will turn over but wont start when engine is warm

my 1995 grand am will turn over but won't start when engine is warm, usually will start when engine is cold but not always. any ideas?
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  Pete replied 5 years ago.

Pete :

Hi.

Pete :

I just need a little more info to assist better.

Pete :

What coolant sensor was unplugged was it one for the coolant level or for the coolant temperature?

Pete :

Has anything been tested or replaced to try and correct this or locate the fault?

Pete :

Let me know so we can continue,Thanks Pete!

Customer:

it was on the bottom of overflow tank

Pete :

o.k.,this is the level sensor and shouldnt affect the starting at all.What you have described you may have an ignition component like the crank sensor or ignition module heating up and .losing its signal.I would have the fault codes checked in the engine/transmission computer to see what codes have set.Once this has been done then it can be diagnosed as to what component is at fault and repaired from there.A local parts store might check these codes free of charge as I have heard before.

Pete :

Crank sensors are most common to act up like this here when the engine is warmed up.

Customer:

it wouldn't start this morning when cold. haven't tried it again today. i was thinking something fuel pump, filter,pressure regulator, you dont think any of these could be it?

Pete :

Yes,the fuel pump is another common component that can cause this here,i dont think the pressure regulator would do this as usually it is only affected when it is warm and not cold.The fuel pressure would have to be tested with a pressure test gage and an adapter to see what the pressure is when it is acting up,if it is low then most likely the pump needs replaced.

Customer:

ok i will check codes first. hope its not fuel pump. i dont want to spend that kind of money on an old work car. thanks

Pete :

Your welcome.

Pete :

Let me know if you need anything else,click accept if you feel satisfied with my assistance as this is how I get credited for my time.Thanks Pete!