Pete, Pontiac Technician
Experience:  17 Years Pontiac Technician and training.
14928985

Pontiac Grand Prix GT: my car wont start. i turn the key and

my car wont start. i turn the key and the engine wont turn over. i can start the car by buypassing right to the starter but now that isnt working. when the key is turned it makes a clicking sound. i have already replaced the ignition switch in the steering colume. i have a 2002 pontiac grand prix gt
Hello,I will be glad to try and assist you with this,Welcome to Just Answer.

Hi.

I just need a little more info to assist better.

Is the security.theft light on or flashing at all on the dash when trying to start the car and releasing the key?

Let me know so we can continue,Thanks Pete!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

no. the light go's off when the key is trying to start the car.

O.k.

When you say you have replaced the ignition switch is this the electronic switch you replaced or the mechanical cylinder?

Let me know,Thanks Pete!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
i would say. the electronic switch. still using the same key,
O.k.

If you have no power going to the starter and the ignition switch has been replaced then the other components that can cause this issue here that need checked/tested are IGNITION MAIN 1 fuse in the under hood fuse box.Make sure this fuse is good.

The other component in line that can cause this is the transmission neutral safety switch itself,if this switch has an internal electrical fault then it will receive power from the ignition switch to engage the starter but wont allow this signal/voltage to pass through it to the starter.

In some cases with a failed switch the vehicle might turn over and start in neutral.

To test this the mechanic should test for power on the yellow wire on terminal G at this switch when someone is trying to start the engine,if voltage is present then with the switch plugged in test for power coming out of this switch at the purple wire at terminal E.If you have no voltage then most likely this switch needs replaced.

This switch sits on top of the transmission on the drivers side where the shifter cable attach's.

Let me know if you need anything else,click accept if you feel satisfied with your answer as this is how I get credited for my time,Thanks Pete!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

well that has all been tested before when the prob has started. when i add power from the battery to the purple wire i was told that it goes right to the starter. ive been doin that. it still wont start. can the neutral safety switch still cause the car not to start?

When you add power to the purple wire at the starter is the starter turning over the engine at all?

Let me know,Thanks Pete!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
no. it makes a light clicking sound when i ad power from the battery.
O.k.

This usually indicates the starter solenoid has failed and the starter needs replaced.

If you have power to the main connection on the starter and it wont start when jumping power to the purple wire or turn over this usually inidcates the starter is at fault and needs replaced.

Make sure the engine turns over freely by hand,if it does then I would suspect the starter.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

does the car have to b in the on position to do this.

No,It should crank over no matter what position the shifter or transmission is in when you jump power to the starter,it should also turn over and then start with the key on.

If you have power to both connections on the starter and the engine does turn over freely by hand then this fault is caused by an internal failure in the starter itself.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
sorry pete one more question. can it still b the starter if i can jump the car n start the car. cause it does start once in a wile from doing that.
It can be the battery,if you r jumping voltage from your existing battery and it is weak then the battery can cause this and this is why it will turn over and start with a jump start.

It can also be an intermittent fault in the starter and the starter would need replaced.

I would have the battery tested,a local parts store usually does this free of charge.If it tests o.k. most likley the starter is at fault.