Pontiac

Pontiac Problems? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Pontiac

Pontiac Bonneville: security light..it says service theft system

Customer Question
Hello, I have a Pontiac...
Hello, I have a Pontiac Bonneville 2000. The security light is on and it says "service theft system". The car will not start. That battery seems to be fully charged, it just won't start. Any help with this would be nice. Thanks!
Submitted: 5 years ago.Category: Pontiac
1/2/2012
Pontiac Mechanic: GMTechBernard, Shop Foreman replied 5 years ago
GMTechBernard
GMTechBernard, Shop Foreman
Hello and welcome to Just Answer!

Unfortunately, diagnostics for this system, without the proper diagnostic equipment is limited. However, I will do my best to assist you.

Do you have any extra keys for this vehicle, either black master keys or gray valet keys?

Has anything happened to the vehicle just prior to this issue? (for example, dead battery)
I completely forgot to tell you: The original key was lost at a friend's house. I'm using the backup black master key which has "pk3" inscribed on it. That is the only reason I can think of it would be acting this way.

Sorry for that tiny lack of detail. ;)

And thanks for your help!
Relist: Answer came too late.
Answer came too late? So you don't need assistance any more?
No I do, the sight said you were offline so I opened it to the other experts.
Hmmm, thats bizarre, I was helping other customers. I never logged off.

At any rate, when was the last time you used the back up key? Have you had any work done since the last time you used it?
I can't remember the last time i used the backup; and the car was working fine right up till the point I lost the original key. The next day I try the backup key, and the security light comes on.

OK, it sounds as though the key is no longer programmed to the car (for whatever reason).

What we need to do, is try and program this key to the car.
First thing you will need to do, is hook a battery charger up to the car. The procedure normally takes 30 minutes to complete, all with the key in the ON position. Not having a charger hooked up will drain the battery before the key learn can finish.

Once the charger is hooked up, turn the key in the ON position and leave the engine off. Leave it this way for AT LEAST 10 minutes. After the 10 minutes, the security lamp should go off. If it does, turn the key off and then repeat for another 10 minutes. When the light goes off the second time, turn the key off and then back on for a final 10 minutes. Once the light goes off for the third time, turn the key off and then attempt to crank the car, it should start.

If the light won't go out after the initial 10 minutes, attempt to crank the car and DO NOT turn the car off, leave the key in the ON position after the failed start attempt. After 10 minutes, the light should go off. If so, repeat two more times for a total of 30 minutes. If it still won't go off, you may have a faulty key (which could explain why it stopped working in the first place).

If you need additional assistance, I will be happy to assist. Even if I show to be offline, I will assist you as soon as I can.
GMTechBernard
GMTechBernard, Shop Foreman
GMTechBernard
GMTechBernard
GMTechBernard, Shop Foreman