Neal
Neal, Pontiac Mechanic
Experience:  Experienced in most makes. Many years in family business.
17294534

Pontiac Grand Prix GT: How do you replace spark plugs on a

Customer Question

How do you replace spark plugs on a 2000 Pontiac Grand Prix with a 3800 Series II engine?
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  Neal replied 5 years ago.

I'm Neal and I am here to assist you. Only accept when you are happy with my assistance. If I can't help I will open your Question to other experts.

Do you already know the basics?

Do you just need pointers on that particular car?

This question will remain open and I will continue to work with you even after you accept. The question will remain active for 7 days after our last communication.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I have a general idea, but looking at the motor the plugs don't look like ones I've seen in the past. Plus, I can't see the 3 plugs in the back of the engine.
Expert:  Neal replied 5 years ago.
They use a standard plug like the one below and the ones in the back you have to mostly do by feel. You will not be able to see them as you are taking them out and putting them back in. Also plan on replacing the wires, they are often damaged getting them off.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
When I look at the plugs, the don't look like any plugs I've seen before. The seem to be covered or encased in a round circular metal tube. A regular spark plug socket won't fit over the "tube".
Expert:  Neal replied 5 years ago.
Is it a small tube on the end of the plug?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The wire going to the plug ends with a 3/4 inch round circular bulb then there is a 4 to 5 inch aluminum type tube. I don't see a spark plug and I can't get the wire to come out. The code coming up on the computer says it's a problem with cylinder number three. I was thinking about trying just replacing the plug for the third cylinder, but I don't know which one it is and I can't see or get to any of the plugs. Would it be possible to e-mail you a picture of what I'm seeing?
Expert:  Neal replied 5 years ago.

You have to pull that tube off, they are usually very hard to get off so twist and pull. That is why I said they are often damaged. Be careful that you don't hurt yourself when it finally comes off.

Here is the firing order and location of #3 Luckily it is in the front.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The plugs don't come with those metal tubes. Do I reuse the ones that are on there already. I'm going to run to the Auto Zone to get the plugs. I may have another question since I don't fully understand how to get them off. I apologize for taking up so much of your time and I really do appreciate your patience. Thank you!
Expert:  Neal replied 5 years ago.

Sorry for the delay,

The wires you have are just a different design.

Let me know if I can help more, the wire ends pull off but can be very hard to get off on those.