Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database
17871496

2004 montana: theft..instrument panel doesnt work..headlights turn

2004 montana theft lock light is on radio and instrument panel doesn't work nor do headlights turn on when vehicle is started.
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  Dan replied 5 years ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm here to help get your problem resolved. Ask follow up questions, thanks. It sounds like body control module has failed, it causes security issues like this...Try to do reset a few more times by disconnecting battery and if that doesnt help you will need to replace body control module which is about a $500 job at dealer. Otherwise you can buy part online yourself for around $150 and pay dealer $100 to program and install it ...I would also check to make sure fuse didnt blow again. Let me know if you have questions, thanks.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Dan is there a lenght of time that I should disconnect the battery? Also would you say this "security issue has anything to do with my instrument panel not working?
Expert:  Dan replied 5 years ago.
The best way to disconnect is disconnect battery and touch cables together for 10 minutes with battery disconnected...Body control module control security system and instrument panel so that would effect both. Let me know if you have questions, thanks.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
So you are saying that the instrument panel not working is connected to the security problem?
Expert:  Dan replied 5 years ago.
No, connected to the body control module problem...Its all related to the bad body control module. Let me know if you have questions, thanks.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

The van starts and runs but the radio says locked and the instrument panel guages don't work.

Expert:  Dan replied 5 years ago.
Ya, definitly sounds like body control module...AS things get worse other things may stop working such as windows,heater controls, ect. Let me know if you have questions, thanks.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
This started about 2 months ago when my fuel guage went on the blink intermitenly. I am mechanically inclined so how difficult will it be for me to replace this part?
Expert:  Dan replied 5 years ago.
Your not able to replace because it needs to be reprogrammed once installed and cannot run unless reprogrammed...Your best option is buying yourself online then paying dealer $100 to install...Can still save a couple hundred if you buy yourself. Let me know if you have questions, thanks.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Where is the best place to buy online?
Expert:  Dan replied 5 years ago.
I cant find part number right now but if you call dealer they will give it to you then google it....You can get them from amazon.com or www.gmpartsdirect.com
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks Dan.
Expert:  Dan replied 5 years ago.
No problem, let me know if you run into questions. Thanks