GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Pontiac Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.
10949255

1996 PONTIAC GRAND AM SE: 4 CYL, AUTO..IGNITION LOCK CYLINDER

Customer Question

I HAVE A 1996 PONTIAC GRAND AM SE, 4 CYL, AUTO. I HAD A PROBLEM WITH THE IGNITION LOCK CYLINDER. I TOOK THE IGN. SWITCH OUT, AND THE LOCK CYLINDER ASSY.NOW I CAN'T GET THEM TO LINED UP TO REINSTALL. CAN I GET A BREAKDOWN ON THIS SHOWING THE INSTALL PROCEDURE
Category: Pontiac
Expert:  17 years GM tech replied 5 years ago.

17 years GM tech :

is that on the column or the dash?

17 years GM tech :

Hello and thank you for your post. I am a master certified GM tech and can help you to resolve your issue.

Customer:

CAN I GET A BRESKDOWN OF THE IGNITION SWITCH/ LOCK ASSY. INSTALLATION

17 years GM tech :

yes but please tell me if this is on teh column or the dash

17 years GM tech :

ok I'll assume it is on the dash

17 years GM tech :

Important :
This new procedure involves drilling a hole through the plastic ignition switch and into the lock cylinder slightly to break or access a cylinder release button retaining spring (similar to G, J and N models). The removal of the broken spring and then the release button will allow the switch to be reused.

1. Remove the necessary trim panels to gain access to the instrument panel mounted switch (refer to information in "Body and Accessories Section, Instrument Panel, Gauges and Consoles").

1. On instrument panel mounted N models (Malibu and Cutlass), the switch and cylinder can be accessed after removing the instrument cluster assembly and positioning the switch/cylinder upward in the cavity for the cluster assembly.

2. On Corvette models, the switch and cylinder can be accessed after removing the knee bolster from the lower instrument panel area and positioning the switch/cylinder downward from its location on the instrument panel.

1. Loosen switch from instrument panel and disconnect the electrical connections, BUT NOT the cable connection for BTSI (Brake/Transmission Shift Interlock).

2. Protect the immediate work area with a fender cover or other suitable material.

17 years GM tech :

Full Size Image

17 years GM tech :
  • Locate the surface for the cylinder release button on the plastic ignition switch housing and center punch a location on the "rib" approximately 3/8" rearward (toward the key entry end) from the cylinder release button, see Figure 3.

• Using a 1/8" drill bit, carefully drill a pilot hole through the plastic housing only.

• Using a 9/32" drill bit, carefully drill a larger hole at the pilot location, and slightly into the lock cylinder surface to break the release button retaining spring.

• Remove portions of the broken spring from the hole using a small pair of needle nose pliers (or other suitable tool) and turn switch over to shake out the release button.

• Grasp the lock cylinder, remove it from the switch housing.

• Remove any plastic "flash" from the drilling operations and, using compressed air, blow out the ignition switch assembly.

• Follow the procedures in the General Information Section of the appropriate vehicle Service Manual when recoding of cylinders is required.

• Install the new cylinder(s) as required by rotating both the cylinder and ignition switch to the "ON" position and pushing the cylinder into the switch. It may be necessary to depress the release button slightly as it passes by the 9/32" hole previously drilled in the housing.
  • Customer:

I HAVE IT ALL APART, I NEED A DIAGRAM ON HOW TO REASSAMBLE

the last line references how to reassemble the cylinder into the housing

Install the new cylinder(s) as required by rotating both the cylinder and ignition switch to the "ON" position and pushing the cylinder into the switch. It may be necessary to depress the release button slightly as it passes by the 9/32" hole previously drilled in the housing

have you tried this? this is the only info I saw when I looked it up. there is no diagram outside of this one but the instructions are pretty good

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
    I DIDN'T HAVE TO DO ANY OF WHAT YOU SAID. THE SWITCH HAD TWO SCREWS HOLDING IT ON, AND THE LOCK CAME OUT BY PUSHING IN THE RETAINER FROM THE BACK. THEY BOTH MOUNT TO A HOUSING THAT IS IN BETWEEN THEM. THAT IS WERE I AM HAVING TROUBLE, THERE IS A PIECE IN THERE THAT NEEDS TO TURN SO I CAN LINE UP THE SWITCH AND THE LOCK CYLINDER. CAN I GET PICTURES OF THIS HOUSING WITH THE SWITCH/KEY INSTALLATION

I apologize. What you are looking for is not available to me. I have a LOT of info but none that show the piece you are calling out.

I will opt out so someone else can help you.

do not respond or I will be locked to this question.

again, I apologize that I cannot provide a drawing or a picture that is helpful

Expert:  GM Tech (Cam) replied 5 years ago.
    Hello, I'm Cam. Please include all the details about your issue so I can accurately advise you. I cannot see your vehicle so please be detailed.

I would like to start fresh.

You are ready to slide the new one in?
    IF so, is the igniton behind on or off at the moment?
    Customer: replied 5 years ago.
    1996 PONTIAC GRAND AM 4 CYL. AUTO. I HAD A PROBLEM WITH THE IGNITION LOCK ASSY.. I DISASSEMBLED THE STEER COLUMN. REMOVED THE IGN SWITCH (2 SCREWS), THAN THE LOCK CYLINDER FROM THE HOUSING WHICH CONNECTS THEM TOGETHER. I CAN NOT GET THEM BACK, BECAUSE THE PIECE IN THE HOUSING WILL NOT LINE UP. HOW DO I GET THIS TO TURN
    Ok, s the whole housing will ot line up. Is the cable attached propely? Is the back of the switch lined up on the peg properly?
    Customer: replied 5 years ago.
    NO, THATS THE PROBLEM, HOW DO I GET THEM TO LINE UP. ALL CABLES ANS PLUGS ARE ATTACHED PROPELY
    Ok, is the car currently in the off position or acc or what, and does it go partly in?
    Customer: replied 5 years ago.
    I CAN' T GET THE LOCK TO LINE UP WITH THE PIECE IN THE HOUSING, ALSO THE SAME WITH THE SWITCH
    Does the key cylinder cylinder turn then? It may need to be on to get them to line up. REally these are not difficult to install .