Pontiac

Pontiac Problems? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Pontiac

pontiac Grand Prix GTP how do i replace the water pump on

Customer Question
how do i replace the...
how do i replace the water pump on a 1999 pontiac grand prix gtp 3800 series supercharged moter
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Pontiac
6/18/2011
Pontiac Mechanic: jettadan1, Pontiac technician replied 6 years ago
jettadan1
jettadan1, Pontiac technician

jettadan1 :

Hello, I am Daniel. I may ask you questions, to better answer you. Please let me know if you have any other questions before you Accept.

jettadan1 :
3.8L Engine

To Remove:

1. Drain the cooling system.

2. Loosen the water pump pulley bolts.

3. Remove or disconnect the following:

• Drive belt.

• Water pump pulley bolts.

• Water pump pulley.

• Power steering pump and reposition.

• Water pump bolts.

• Water pump.

• Water pump gasket.

4. Clean and inspect the water pump mating surfaces.

[IMAGE][SRC][/SRC][ALT][/ALT][WIDTH]100[/WIDTH][HEIGHT]100[/HEIGHT][STYLE][/STYLE][/IMAGE]

To Install:

1. Install or connect the following:

• Water pump gasket.

• Water pump. Tighten the long water pump bolts to 25 ft. lbs. (34 Nm) Tighten the short water pump bolts to 16 ft. lbs. (22 Nm)

• Water pump pulley.

• Water pump pulley bolts. Tighten the bolts to 115 in lbs. (13 Nm)

• Power steering pump.

• Drive belt.

2. Fill the cooling system.

Customer:

hows it going danielle i actually got about half way through this job and got stuck and have been for a little while now,

jettadan1 :

its aboout a 2 hr job for a mech maybe 3 to 4 for shade tree

Customer:

daniel** my appologys

jettadan1 :

where you at right now? i wil help you though

jettadan1 :

threw

jettadan1 :

are yopu on a droide?

Customer:

what do you mean? im not by the car right now

Customer:

no

Customer:

at my computer

jettadan1 :

ok cool

jettadan1 :

Youy said you are stuck half way through. I will help you

jettadan1 :

where are you at in repair procedure.

Customer:

so far i got the water pump off all the way except for 2 of the mounting bolts, one of them is stuck right behind the power steering pulley, and the other is stuck behind one of the other pulleys toward the front

jettadan1 :

ok you need to spray them real good with w d 40 or pb blaster or other menatrating fluid.

jettadan1 :

screw them back in and out while lubing them.

Customer:

ther physicaly stuck behind the pulley, and ther too long to get around it

Customer:

thats the problem

Customer:

so i think i need to remove the power steering pump

jettadan1 :

then hold the water pump close to block and you should be able to remoce them by finger and take them out with water pump.

Customer:

to get those bolts out

jettadan1 :

they may not come out all the way without water pump

jettadan1 :

so when you put the water pump on you will have to put those bolts back in so they will fit behind pulleys

jettadan1 :

of course they wound fit back in the water pump once it back on the engine so you will have to put bolts on the water pump before placing on engine.

Customer:

it still seems pretty close yah? ill give it a shot with the wd40, but to be honest i thought id have to remove the power steering pump

jettadan1 :

I am looking at two manuals and it doesnt call for it.

Customer:

okay then, ill give it a shot

jettadan1 :

there is no law against it though lol if you have to you have too

Customer:

it says right ther in what u typed the first time

jettadan1 :

There may have been a smart guy at the factory that put the long bolts on that side.

Customer:

may need to remove or reposition power steering pump

Customer:

yeah thats kind of a pain

Customer:

so can you tell me how to do that?

jettadan1 :

I thought you meant the power steering pump wasnt in the instructions and you thought it should be.

jettadan1 :

I missed it

jettadan1 :

flew right past me.

Customer:

its no bigge

Customer:

im just guessing that thats what i need to do to fix my car

jettadan1 :

It may be loosen and reposition

Customer:

do you have instructions on that or no?

jettadan1 :

\One moment

jettadan1 :
3.8L Engine

To Remove:

1. Before servicing the vehicle, refer to the precautions at the beginning of this section.

2. Place a drain pan under the vehicle.

3. Remove the accessory drive belt from the power steering pump pulley.

4. Raise and safely support the vehicle.

5. Remove the right front tire and wheel assembly.

6. Remove the hoses from the power steering pump.

7. Remove the mounting bolts and the power steering pump from the engine.

8. Remove the reservoir and pulley from the pump if necessary.

To Install:

Power steering pump removal/installation (3.8L engine)

1. If removed, install the power steering pump reservoir and pulley on the power steering pump.

2. Position the power steering pump to the engine and install the mounting bolts. Tighten the bolts to 25 lb ft (34 Nm).

3. Install the pressure and return hoses to the pump.

4. Install the right front tire and wheel assembly.

5. Lower the vehicle.

6. Install the accessory drive belt.

7. Fill and bleed the power steering system.

8. Inspect the system for leaks.

9. Remove the drain pan from under the power steering pump area.

jettadan1 :

if you click on the blue you should see picture.

Customer:

oh man, thats like a whole nother job in itself huh?

Customer:

it needs to be lifted and everything

jettadan1 :

I weouldnt do hoses

jettadan1 :

wouldnt do hoses. it just needs to get out of the way.

Customer:

would a regular tire jack work? its kind of stuck haha

jettadan1 :

I got a cheap one from walmart and it lasted 10 years and I have to admit I left it out side. sometimes.

jettadan1 :

be carefull with the tire jack

jettadan1 :

be care ful

Customer:

okay will do thanks for the help!

jettadan1 :

Your very welcome. follow up with me even after accept. I want to make sure your ok.

Customer:

will do

jettadan1 :

Good deal

Customer:

hey, just so you know your instructions didnt really help, my car is still messed up, i got the water pump in, but i didnt go through the wheel well, and even tho i got it all hooked back up my car wont stay on without being hooked up to another car thru jumper cables, so i think my alternator is bad now as well...

jettadan1
jettadan1, Pontiac technician
Im sorry you feel that way. Im sorry about your alternator. If you were still having trouble you are always welcome to ask for more help.
jettadan1
jettadan1
jettadan1, Pontiac technician