Pontiac

Pontiac problems? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Car will only start when boosted..wont start..start.....good...

Customer Question
Car will only start when...
Car will only start when boosted... turn it off and won't start... battery test is good... alt test is good...
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Pontiac
6/18/2011
Pontiac Mechanic: hauto, TECHNICIAN replied 7 years ago
hauto
hauto, TECHNICIAN

Thanks for using JA

Cause

This condition may be due to poor battery cable connections. Cross-threaded/stripped battery cable bolts inside the battery side post terminals may cause poor battery cable connections.

Correction

To avoid replacing the battery , do the following steps:

^Clean the threads in the battery side post terminals using a 3/8" (# XXXXX) NC bottom tap.

^Replace the battery cable bolt.

The battery cable bolt is serviced separately from the cable and is available from your Parts Department. Be sure to use the correct bolt.

Warranty Information

hauto
hauto, TECHNICIAN
battery terminals are fine looks brand new... took them off and retighten them all is good as far as I can see. But there is some sort of lube on the thread looks like clear vasoline...again really good shape. Battery 72 moths old...
So the battery was load tested and it had good voltage and amps under load? Thanks

i'm no expert but please explain how you do a load test

That is no problem at all.

a load test is preformed using a machine that a repair shop or a parts store will have, that applies a load on the battery, then the voltage can't go below 10v, and amps should stay high around 200a.

this will provide a good picture of the state of the battery. you can remove the battery and bring it to auto zone and they'll do that for you.

if the battery tests good, then you have a parasitic Drain issue. meaning that a circuit is staying alive while the vehicle is off and parked.

for that you'll need a repair shop that can do electrical diagnoses.

thanks i will put my multimeter tester on again and check the amps... only checked the volts the first time it was at 12.83... thanks. I will check it with a load eg. air and lights on right?

you really need to have the battery under load for this test to be accurate.

Thanks
good luck, and thank you.