Pontiac

Pontiac problems? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

2000 Pontiac sunfire: Headlights..wiring harness..bypassed..fuse box…

Customer Question
My daughter has a 2000...
My daughter has a 2000 Pontiac Sunfire 2DR Coupe. Headlights not working. Someone actually cut the wiring harness and bypassed the plug and ran a wire to the fuse box to a slot with power when key on. This wire is loose and needs fixed and they will work. What could be the cause so I could fix the problem correctly. Corrosion possibly in the plug/wire to the headlight? I believe it had daytime running lights which do not work at all. Please Help.
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Pontiac
Answered in 1 hour by:
6/15/2011
Pontiac Mechanic: GM Tech (Cam), Pontiac Technician replied 7 years ago
GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Pontiac Technician
Hello, I'm Cam. Please include all the details about your issue so I can accurately advise you. I cannot see your vehicle so please be detailed.
This ssytem gets power to the headlights all the time and then the switch grounds them as needed. If you have a test light and a bit of time, I can walk you through the proper diagnosis and repair for this. Do you have the means to do this?
IF so, start by finding the orange wire at the fight headlight and the dark blue at the left and see if they have power with the key and headlights on.
Iam not at the car right now but I would like you to walk me through the steps.
Can we continue when you are? IT would keep it simple.
I am actually at work right now and I do not know when i will be home. I would like to hear your ideas. If this is a problem I will have to wait. But I can print out your troubleshooting ideas and when I can check them out i will.
The thing I have found is this, and it is not specific to one customer but 95% is that when I post many things to check, only a couple truely get checked. Overall I will be walking you through the simple diagnosis starting with powers to the light and go from there. These are bad for corroded wires in the front and we need to find which are bad to carry on. I will be around till about 5:30 min time then back on after 7:00. I am in
MST and it is 8:45 here now.
ok i will try to do it when i am home. Do i just log on when i get to my home computer? And also I shouldnt accept the answer yet correct?
YEs you can log on when you get home to continue. YOu can accept now or later, which ever you would like, it does not end our conversation.
Thank You
My pleasure.