Pontiac

Pontiac problems? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Grand Prix: Hi I am adding coolant..my 07..000 Miles..find a leak…

Hi I am adding coolant...
Hi I am adding coolant to my 07 Grand Prix 3.8, 80,000 Miles. I put 20 # XXXXX to it. Can not find a leak. Not in oil, out exhaust or on the ground.. Can you help??? Please
Answered in 1 hour by:
6/14/2011
FIXITMAN
FIXITMAN, Mater Technician

FIXITMAN :

Hello JACUSTOMER, approximately how much coolant is it going through?

Customer:

about 1 qt. in 500 miles

Customer:

I bought the car a year ago. I did not know there was stop leak in the cooling system

Customer:

I got the oil changed and they discovered it. so they flushed it.

Customer:

that is when I needed to start adding coolant

FIXITMAN :

Okay. Start by replacing the cooling system pressure cap. If it is not holding pressure then the coolant can evaporate and cause this. If this does not solve the problem then you more than likely have a bad head gasket or a problem with a cracked head. This is the only way that the coolant would disappear without any external leaks.

Customer:

OK would you not smell it in the exhaust??

Customer:

Do these engines have coolant problems?? I know the 02"s did

FIXITMAN :

These engines do not have the same issues as the others. More than likely it was overheated at one point. As for smell, the exhaust gets hot enough to where you will not smell it.

Customer:

OK Thank You for youre help

FIXITMAN
FIXITMAN, Mater Technician