Pontiac

Pontiac problems? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

my trans am is trying to turn over but wont fire. whats wrong with it…

Customer Question
my trans am is trying...
my trans am is trying to turn over but wont fire. whats wrong with it?
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Pontiac
6/13/2011
Pontiac Mechanic: JHoop, Pontiac Technician replied 7 years ago
JHoop
JHoop, Pontiac Technician
Hello , my name is XXXXX XXXXX thank you for choosing justanswer.com. Please tell me all the problem as my answers are based on the information you provide.

Do you have spark to the plug wires?
yes i have spark plug wires i drove to my g mas house and was going to replace my turn signal flasher so i took the dsah apart to get to it and was on my way to auto zone to get a new one and it wouldnt start. its trying to turn over but not firing to start.
i dont know what to do..... in stuck here my grandmother cant help and i have no family here to help me
When you first turn the key to run with the gas cap off and an assistant to listen, do you hear the fuel pump run for 3 seconds?
i didnt hear any thing but my engine is very loud idk if it drowned out the sound
Do not crank the engine over. Just turn the key to ON Again, When you first turn the key to on with the gas cap off and an assistant to listen, do you hear the fuel pump run for 3 seconds?

yeah i heard it.

I'm going to put your question back up and see if anybody else has any info on this. Sorry I couldn't help you further. I'm sure someone will be with you shortly. Thanks again for choosing justanswer! JHoop
what do you mean you didnt tell me anything!!! what is it?
Pontiac Mechanic: Mike S., ASE Certified Technician replied 7 years ago
Mike S.
Mike S., ASE Certified Technician

Jhoop asked you, "Do you have spark to the plug wires?"

In which you answered, "yes i have spark plug wires"

Lets get this clear, do you have spark from the spark plug wires while cranking, not just physically have wires?

idk what that means.
Since you were working under the dash when this happened, check for power at both sides of the Ignition fuse #11 10A (hot in run and start).

Actually that fuse is in the underhood fuse box.

the fuses are good

Ok, back to checking for spark. Make a test plug.

You can make a test plug with a new spark plug and some wire, a mini hose clamp and an alligator clip. First open the spark plug gap to around 0.075” and strip both ends of a 16 gauge wire about 4 foot in length. Attach the mini hose clamp around the threads of the spark plug cause that is a ground and secure it with the mini hose clamp with the bare wire end in between to make a good connection. Next, take the other end of wire and secure to an alligator clip.
Now, you have a test plug. Remove any spark plug boot you want and insert your test plug onto the spark plug wire end you just pulled off and ground the alligator clip. Lay the spark plug in some shade somewhere under that hood and then crank the engine and look for spark. It should crackle with sound and should be blue but red is ok, orange is a little weak. If it can jump that 0.075” gap you should have no problem igniting an engine.
You can also use that to check coils on some vehicles.

graphic