Pontiac

Pontiac problems? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

2001 Pontiac Montana: passenger side turn indicator..turn signal…

I have a 2001 Pontiac...
I have a 2001 Pontiac Montana. The passenger side turn indicator will blink once and once only at about 1 minute intervals. This happens without activating the turn signal arm. The turn signals work perfectly left and right when activated during normal driving.
6/12/2011
zzdaryl
zzdaryl, Shop Owner, Master Mechanic
This is a very common problem on this vehicle and is typically caused by the turn signal switch, but can be caused by the flasher or a wiring problem but the turn signal switch is the most common.
Where would one locate the turn signal switch?
Same question regarding the flasher.
I was told at one time it could be a module associated with the signaling system. Could this be the same thing as the switch you are referring to above?
The switch is attached to the arm that you make the turn signals work with so it is in the steering column, it is often replied to as a multifunction switch, the flasher is often referred to as the turn signal flasher module so maybe that is what you are calling a module, it is located at the base of the steering column on the left side.
Just went on Google. Found the flasher you were referring to. Am familiar where this is located on car. Is BWD Combination Switch just a fancy name for the turn signal switch or to make it even simpler is it that little lever we move up or down depending on which way we want to turn? That's my best guess and with my luck will probably be the problem because the damn thing is over $350 new. May have to go to junk yard for this one. Sorry. I had just sent this to you before your answer.
Yes that is the switch with the lever on it, yes the switch is pretty expensive but I would not give much for a used one because a lot of these do this so you could end up with the same problem.
In your experience, where do you think I am most likely going to find the problem. Obviously I am going to replace the $15 flasher before I tear into the switch but if replacing the flasher does not eliminate the problem would you search for a wiring issue first or just dive into the switch. I have access to my friends body shop and his employees so replacing the switch is not an issue other than the expense of the part.We are replacing power steering pump and both lines this week so maybe we just make it one big party and do it all at once. Just had the same thought about a junk yard switch. Why go to all the work of replacing switch only to have that one be defective. Good call!!
I have never found the wiring to be the cause of this problem but it is a possibility so I would probably just replace the switch if the flasher does not help.
You think it's the switch don't you? It's OK. You can say it. I can handle it. I won't jump off any tall buildings or throw myself in front of a train if it is the switch. If you would have moved up and down as many times as that thing has moved up and down you'd be worn out as well. It's amazing the abuse some of these parts take and for how long they take the abuse without failing. If you have given me all the possibilities you can think of for this problem just let me know and I will accept your answer so you can get paid. If I have any questions relating to the installation of the switch if that turns out to be the problem would I be able to "speak" with you again?
Yes I would bet on the switch being the problem. Yes you can ask for me specifically or just come back to this question, there should be a link to it in your e-mail.
zzdaryl
zzdaryl, Shop Owner, Master Mechanic
%&#*[email protected]$#%$*@& Like I said, no problem. Thanks for all your help.
Thanks for the accept and good luck with the repair.
I am a little confused. Have you not been paid? My screen shows that I accepted your answer on June 12. If that is not the case please let me know. By the way, the module was not the problem. Big surprise there huh? Is the switch hard to replace?
Yes I have been paid. The switch is not to hard to replace, it can usually be done in less than a hour.