Pontiac

Pontiac problems? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

86 pontiac fiero: a new steering column because of a wobble..cars…

Customer Question
have an 86 pontiac fiero...
have an 86 pontiac fiero, apparently needs a new steering column because of a wobble... Am told that it would be better to find a used column rather than fix the old one which is time consuming, what cars have matching columns?
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Pontiac
6/12/2011
Pontiac Mechanic: Dave Nova, Pontiac Technician replied 7 years ago
Dave Nova
Dave Nova, Pontiac Technician
Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do my best to help you with your Pontiac problem.

The problem with a used column is that it may be in the same shape as yours. Looks like the only direct fit will be from a 1985 or 1986 Fiero.
how is it fixed then without replacing it? what usually is wrong?
while you are at it, does the dash need to come off to change the heater core on a 1998 bonneville?
The problem is usually just the screws in tilt mechanism come loose. If you partially disassemble the steering column you can tighten the screws. It is best to go ahead and put a drop of Loctite on each of the screws, then install them and torque them down. Click here for a complete writeup on how to fix the problem. This is an El Camino, but all internal components of the column and the service procedure are the same.

No, the dash does not have to come out. The heater core can be accessed by removing the glove box and the underdash panel on the bonneville. There is a portion of the heater case that can be unscrewed to then access the heater core.
wow, that seems like a lot of miniscule work and a lot of parts to potentially lose to fix the problem.. is there any other way?
In the procedure where it cautions you to not tighten the two screws you can access at that point, I have seen plenty of mechanics just tighten these two screws (actually you can get to 3 of the four at this point). There is usually not a problem if you loctite the screws you can get to at this point and don't worry about the fourth screw. Since the loose screws are the cause of the problem, there is no other fix, other than replacing the column.
Dave Nova
Dave Nova, Pontiac Technician