Pontiac

Pontiac Problems? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Pontiac

grand prix: belt tensioner..3.8L..V6..the pully and the cap

Customer Question
How do I get the...
How do I get the belt tensioner off a grand prix 2000 3.8L V6. I released the belt and removed the pully and the cap on the tensioner but can't see how to remove from there. There is a fastener of some sort with a green dot on it.
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Pontiac
Answered in 1 minute by:
2/22/2011
Pontiac Mechanic: Pete, Pontiac Technician replied 6 years ago
Pete, Pontiac Technician
Hello,I will be glad to try and assist you with this,Welcome to Just Answer.

Hi.

I just need a little more info to assist better.

Is this the super charged engine or the standard 3.8 V6 engine?

Let me know so we can continue,Thanks Pete!
Yes it is a 3.8L V6 with a super charger
O.k.

Is this the super charger belt tensioner you want to remove or the regular drive belt tensioner?

The drive belt tensioner
O.k.

There is a nut right in the center of the tensioner assembly.Remove this nut and the tensioner will slide off.

You have to have the super charger belt off or loose as well to remove this tensioner but the nut is the only thing that holds the drive belt tensioner in place,once removed the tensioner slides off the threaded shaft.

The pulley doesn't have to come off as usually the new tensioner comes with a new pulley.

Let me know if you need anything else,click accept if you feel satisfied with your answer as this is how I get credited for my time,Thanks Pete!
There is not a nut there, it is more like a flat plate with a green dot on it and a couple of notches on the top
Are you looking at the entire tensioner assembly or just where the pulley attached to it.The tensioner is the whole assembly that the pulley attach's to and in the center of this assembly it should have a nut that holds this onto the engine.

Once the nut is removed it can be removed from the engine.

To make sure you are on the right tensioner and right area is there any way you can post a picture here of this,if you can take a digital picture and then upload it here using the paper clip upload link this would help to make sure we are on the right page with this.

Thanks Pete!
graphic
O.k.

I got the picture you sent.

Did you already get the new tensioner assembly for this vehicle or are you just trying to remove the old one?

Let me know,Thanks Pete!
Just trying to remove the old one, I started out just removing the pulley but I stripped the threads not knowing it was a left hand bolt thread.
O.k.

After seeing your picture this refreshed my mind on this info.This tensioner assembly comes off with the entire bracket that it is attached to.Below is a picture of the entire tensioner and how it will look when it is removed.

Since the threads are stripped a new tensioner will have to be installed.

You will have to remove the heater hoses from this bracket and all other components,then un bolt the bracket and remove it from the vehicle.

graphic

Do you happen to have the part number so I can call around. I got the part out.
Sure,

The GM part number for this is 12590766.The cost I have for this part is around $200 but you might be able to get this cheaper from an after market parts store.I don't have any after market part numbers as they can vary from parts store to parts store.

Pete, Pontiac Technician
Pete, Pontiac Technician