Pontiac

Pontiac Problems? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Pontiac

How do I replace an alternator on a 2002 Pontiac Aztek?

Customer Question
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Pontiac
2/12/2011
Pontiac Mechanic: BigBob, Service Manager/Technician replied 6 years ago
BigBob
BigBob, Service Manager/Technician
Greetings,

You will need to rotate the engine forward to get it out.

Rotating the Engine for Service Access

• Tools Required
  • J 41131 Engine Tilter Strap
  1. Remove the throttle body air inlet duct.
  2. Set the park brake.
  3. Shift the transaxle into Neutral.
  4. Remove the engine mount strut bolts. Swing the engine mount struts aside.
  5. Install the J41131.
  6. Pull on the engine in order to rotate the engine forward.
  7. Tighten the J41131.
graphic

Let me know if I can help further,
Bob
graphic

Remove both the bolts to the engine struts to rotate the engine.

Bob

Just removing the two front mounts will let it rotate? How far do we need to rotate it?

Only far enough to get the alternator out. You don't have to have the "special tool" any strap that you can tighten will do. Here is the entire procedure.
  1. Remove the battery ground (negative) cable from the battery.
  2. Rotate and secure the engine forward to access rear generator bolts. Refer to Rotating the Engine for Service Access in Engine-3.4L.
  3. Remove the generator B+ terminal nut.
  4. Remove the generator B+ lead.
  5. Remove the generator electrical connector.
  6. Remove the drive belt from the generator.
  7. Remove the generator front bolt.
  8. Remove the generator rear bolts.
  9. Remove the generator from the generator bracket and position the generator above the drive axle.
  10. Remove the drive belt tensioner.
  11. Remove the generator bracket.
  12. Remove the power steering pipes from the power steering pipe retainer.
  13. Remove the fuel pressure test port (schrader valve) cap from the fuel injector rail.

IMPORTANT: Do not disconnect the power steering pipes from the power steering pump.

1. Remove the power steering pump and reposition the power steering pump in front of the timing chain cover in order to provide access for the generator.
  2. Remove electrical harness from retainer on right fender well and position aside.
  3. Remove the generator from the vehicle.

Bob
BigBob
BigBob, Service Manager/Technician
BigBob
BigBob
BigBob, Service Manager/Technician