Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
3195632

2008 Pontiac Vibe: resistor..the glove box and can see the blower, I

I have a 2008 Pontiac Vibe. The blower has stopped working all together. This makes me think it isn't the resistor, buy either the switch or the fan.

I have removed the glove box and can see the blower, I just cannot figure out how to get it out. I have removed the 3 bolts that I can see. There is a grey box underneath the blower I'm not sure about and can't get off, either.

Also, I have the shroud of the dash controls off, but there is a cable holding the white piece of plastic the switches are mounted on.

Can you please help me remove either/both of these?
Here you go:

1. Remove the two retainers from the PCM close out panel (1) below the Instrument Panel (IP) compartment door.

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Remove the two retainers from the PCM close out panel (1) below the Instrument Panel (IP) compartment door

2. Swing the PCM close out panel (1) down.
  3. Open the IP compartment.
  4. Push in on both sides of the IP compartment in order to release the safety catches.

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Push in on both sides of the IP compartment in order to release the safety catches.

5. Remove the IP compartment door assembly from the IP.

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Remove the two PCM bracket fasteners

6. Remove the two PCM bracket fasteners.

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Pull the PCM (2) with brackets (3) toward you and swing both down away from under the IP.

7. Pull the PCM (2) with brackets (3) toward you and swing both down away from under the IP.
  8. Disconnect the blower motor electrical connector.
  9. Remove the blower motor cooling tube.

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Remove the three bolts (2) and the blower motor and fan (1) from the vehicle.

10. Remove the three bolts (2) and the blower motor and fan (1) from the vehicle.

1. Remove the radio.
  2. Remove the center knob from the HVAC control unit
  3. Remove the screw from the control unit.
  4. Remove the center console and heater control trim panel.

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Remove the center console and heater control trim panel (1)

5. Remove the electrical connector from the HVAC control unit.

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Remove the mode control cable from the HVAC control unit

6. Remove the mode control cable from the HVAC control unit.

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. HVAC control unit

7. Remove the following from the HVAC control unit:
    1. The temperature control cable
    2. The A/C cable

8. Remove the HVAC control unit.
  9. Remove the following from the HVAC control unit:
    1. The mode control and temperature control knobs
    2. The lamp bulbs

I noticed that you viewed and downloaded the answer and directions. If you have any questions on this, feel free to ask for clarification or more help, otherwise you do need to click the accept button to pay for services rendered per the customer agreement as this is a paysite and the expert is not paid for their time or services until you do so. If you have a subscription service, you still need to click the accept button but you are NOT charged again. Thank you and have a good day
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I am unclear on where the mode control cable and the electrical connectors are and especially confused on how to remove them. The diagram was unclear. Do I reach behind the white plastic while it's still on the dash? I appreciate your help.

undo the harness connector and then reach behind and pull the cable up and out of where it connects to the control head. you may find using 90 degree bent needlenose pliars easier to do this.

but before doing that, have you tested the blower motor yet? does it run if hooked up to the battery with some wires?

If so, then before pulling the control head, disconnect the harness connector to the blower motor resistor. With a ohmmeter, check for resistance between each of the terminals on the resistor itself. If resistance absent between any of them, replace the resistor, and check the connector to if for signs of melting as I have seen this before.