Pontiac

Pontiac Problems? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Pontiac

Pontiac Grand Am SE removing the fuel filter from the pontiac

removing the fuel filter from...
removing the fuel filter from the pontiac 2002 Grand Am. I see the line end connection but the green clip is confusing on the other side. How do you remove it to slide the fuel line off?
It says on the manual to press the plastic clips. Don't see that just the "Green" plastic device.
1/4/2011
Mike S.
Mike S., ASE Certified Technician

Please include the year,make,model,sub-model,engine,2wd,4wd,flex,gas,diesel. Please click accept when done, thank you and come back often.

Remove or disconnect the following:
Fuel line from the filter, using a backup wrench Quick-connect fitting from the fuel filter by compressing the tabs while pulling outward on the line.

I assume one end is actually threaded and the other is a quick disconnect.

Perhaps a tool would be of some help.

Dorman/360 degree clamp/seal side jaw pincher

graphic

Fuel line disconnect set for Ford and GM

graphic

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/accessories/Tools-Garage-and-Equipment/Fuel-Line-Disconnect-Tool/_/N-25qj?filterByKeyWord=fuel+line+tool&fromString=search

The Auto Zone fuel line disconnect tool? Will this work on that bright grren clip thats holding the tubing end of the fuel filter. I used a 20mm and 5/8 wrench to remove the other end. Is that line on the clipped end flexable enough to pull down for a little easier access. regards, XXXXX XXXXX
GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Pontiac Technician

Welcome, and thanks for using Just Answer. I am Cam, and I will do my best to assist you. When you are finished please click on accept only if you are satisfied. I don't get paid unless you do.Please do not accept if you cannot leave positive feedback. I don't know if you are a tech or a just working on your own vehicle so we may have to fine tune the answer. I only know as much about your problem as you have told me in your post, so my answers will be based on what you tell me so please add all the details you can. About your vehicle,

You need no tools to remove that clip. Use a tool like a pick or screw driver to pull the one leg down when push the sides of the clip where the arrows show and push it up so the top loop goes out of the rest of the body.

graphic

So once that clip is removed the line should slide off filter with little effort? Does it pay to lube that end of line when installing new filter as well? Say with petrolatum or something similar.

Regards, XXXXX XXXXX

You don't need to pull it off all the way, just till the bottom leg is up all the way, and only wipe it all clean, no lube needed.
GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Pontiac Technician
Got the filter out and putting new filter that has a plastic clip installed. this won't fit into current line installation. do we just remove the plastic part from the new filter/

Yes, remove the part on the filter as you don't need it.

Ok I removed part off of filter and reinstalled with no problem. Got it all back together but I still have no fuel pressure and the fuel pump keeps running each time I turn ignition on for about 5 sec. I got fuel coming thru manifold ok, bled off quite a bit with gage to get air bubbles out. Any idea's why no pressure????? Regards, XXXXX XXXXX

Does the pressure build if you plug the return line? If so then you have a bad regulator, if not then your pump is bad. Was the old filter plugged?

Is the return line the larger of the 2 on the manifold? Do you plug it with a fitting or wrap a rag around it or just plug it with your finger??????????? The filter was not plugged.

Regards, XXXXX XXXXX

It is the smaller hose and you find a spot where you can pinch the line, meaning a flexible spot.
Are we talking under the hood back by the firewall where it goes from rigid to flex or underneath by the gas tank???????????
I would go by the tank, the line that does not go through the filter with the blue clip.

Ok I found the line above the filter with the "blue" clip, there's a bend near the tank I guess that would be the best place to crimp it. The plastic black coated line feels hard to the touch, I assume you don't have to crimp it all the way. By the way the filter was clogged, I thought my son had checked it. I tried running water thru both ends and got nothing. Cold the line be clogged downstream from the filter toward the engine?

Regards, XXXXX XXXXX

This likely means the pump failed due to the plugged filter. It is the single biggest reason they fail.

So even though the pump runs(the motor) its not pumpimg fuel to the engine? I see the fuel pump is mounted on top of the tank. Is there access from inside the car or does the tank have to be dropped?

No access so you do need to drop the tank, and yes, even if it is running, it may not be able to build pressure.

I assume the pumps they sell at NAPA or Auto Zone are suitable replacements and reliable. Auto Zone prices out at 245.00 dollars so far! Not looking forward to this job in this weather! Regars, Larry E.
In my opinion, no, I would make sure to get a Delphi pump.
Before I purchase this very expensive pump to replace is there anything else we can do to either confirm without doubt or try to insure this is the way to go? The tank is also a 1/4 full. Should the tank be drain and flushed out to insure there are no contaminants tn there that could clog the filter in the future? Regards, XXXXX XXXXX
Just watch the pressure gauge as you pinch that return line and see if it spikes, if not then I Am 100% sure. I Would not worry about cleaning it out unless you see junk in there.
The return line is the one with the "Blue" clip I saw above the filter? I'm working by myself today so I'll have to crimp the fuel return line first then turn the ignition key on to observe the pressure guage when the pump is running. Correct?
YEs, but only allow it to run for a moment.
GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Pontiac Technician