Pontiac

Pontiac Problems? Ask a Mechanic for Answers ASAP

Pontiac

Brakes go to the floor sporatically...below 32 F only..warmer weather

Customer Question
Brakes go to the floor...
Brakes go to the floor sporatically. Happens when it is below 32 F only. Have not had issues in warmer weather.
Submitted: 6 years ago.Category: Pontiac
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/9/2010
Pontiac Mechanic: Gary, Pontiac Technician replied 6 years ago
Gary
Gary, Pontiac Technician
the brake pedal will go straight to the floor like no resistance?im assuming the brake fluid has been changed?
Yes that has been done. Again. Only sporacticly. Not every day and when it happens it maybe 2 or 3 times and then it doesn't happen again.
ok first thing we need to do is unplug the ABS and see if it still does this.if it STILL goes to the floor and the fluid is clean and full and NO brake fluid leaks it is going to need a master cylinder.NOTHING else will cause the brakes to do that other than a master.if it DOES NOT go to floor with the ABS unplugged then we need to look into the ABS system.to disable the ABS (don't worry the light will be on its ok) remove the big 50 amp maxi fuse called ABS fuse # XXXXX
A master Cylindar or ABS system can fail sporactically? And only when cold. I am surprised
the only thing that will cause a brake pedal to go to the floor even intermittently would be a master cylinder or an ABS activating when it should not be and could case the pedal to drop.if there are NO brake fluid leaks the brake fluid system is a hydraulic system there is no air in it or if there was it would NOT be an intermittent problem.
Gary
Gary, Pontiac Technician
Gary
Gary
Gary, Pontiac Technician