Pontiac

Pontiac problems? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

2001 Montana: many Engine/Trans Mounts are..accelerating..stop sign…

Customer Question
How many Engine/Trans Mounts are...
How many Engine/Trans Mounts are on a 2001 Montana 3.4L.. It shakes when accelerating and shakes when sitting at stop sign or red light.. very sure its a mount just dont know which one and how hard is it to replace idler pulley..
Submitted: 7 years ago.Category: Pontiac
11/5/2010
Pontiac Mechanic: marcpod, Own collision repair advice replied 7 years ago
marcpod
marcpod, Own collision repair advice

Welcome this is what you have there are two strut mounts at the front one each side also some transmission mounts here are the prices and labor times.

PartOEM PartPrice
Engine Mount
Mount10448574$118.73
Strut10247084$25.65
Trans Mount22146688$64.85
LaborSkill
Level
Mfg.
Warranty
Standard
Engine Mount
ReplaceB1.11.5
Strut
EachB0.30.4
Trans Mount
4T60E
FrontB0.50.6
RearB1.72.1
BothB1.92.7
4T65E
LeftB0.70.9
RearB0.60.7

so which one do you think it is the strut mounts are in front of the engine on top would i be able to tell if they were bad.... which one commonly goes out

The best thing to do is get a flash light and look right into the rubber area see if the rubber is cracked if the rubber is cracked or broken then it should be replaced. Take a look at each one separately if you can . But that is the best way to really check the mounts. Another way to check is have or look into the engine with the hood up and watch the engine move when you put it in gear for reverse and forward but make sure you keep an eye on your feet and be cautious

marcpod
marcpod, Own collision repair advice
How are you doing do you see the black rubber cracked or broken. The idler pulley just need s to be unbolted thats it on that.
Sorry had a funeral this weekend... ok so when we put this thing in gear it moves pretty bad.. My mother-in-law will not get rid of this thing so she makes us fix it she has had it since new and it has 189,000 miles on it... and got the pulley fixed...
Sorry to hear that. I would recommend changing them all then if you can even if you do them a couple at a time the fronts should be the same time just like the Transmission ones. It will save you some money. Plus if you went to a auto body shop it could save you 30% or more because insurance rates prevail depending on your area.