Pontiac

Pontiac problems? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

1195 trans am ignition issues...it wont crank

Customer Question
1195 trans am ignition issues...it...
1195 trans am ignition issues...it won't crank, been like this for nearly a month now and I can't seem to find what the problem is
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Pontiac
6/29/2010
Pontiac Mechanic: Dave Nova, Pontiac Technician replied 8 years ago
Dave Nova
Dave Nova, Pontiac Technician
The problem is most likely the ignition lock cylinder, there are two tiny wires coming out of the cylinder that break over time. You can replace the ignition lock cylinder or you can bypass the system. If you want to bypass the system, use an ohmmeter to find the resistance across the chip in the key. Then go to Radio Shack and purchase a resistor of the same resistance value. Wire this resistor across the two white wires coming out of the steering column under the dash. These white wires are encased in orange insulation where they come out of the column, then break out of the insulation near the connector. See illu

The problem is most likely the ignition lock cylinder, there are two tiny wires coming out of the cylinder that break over time. You can replace the ignition lock cylinder or you can bypass the system. If you want to bypass the system, use an ohmmeter to find the resistance across the chip in the key. Then go to Radio Shack and purchase a resistor of the same resistance value. Wire this resistor across the two white wires coming out of the steering column under the dash. These white wires are encased in orange insulation where they come out of the column, then break out of the insulation near the connector. See illustration below.

Dave Nova
Dave Nova, Pontiac Technician
thank you very much for your help...I hope this works
You are welcome. Thanks for using Justanswer.com