Pontiac

Pontiac problems? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

A leak between the modulator and the master cylinder at the bottom…

Customer Question
How do I prevent a...
How do I prevent a leak between the modulator and the master cylinder at the bottom?
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Pontiac
6/29/2010
Pontiac Mechanic: 17 years GM tech, GM master tech replied 8 years ago
17 years GM tech
17 years GM tech, GM master tech

hello, I just read the background on your issue and I see you have a brake fluid between the abs motor pack/modulator and the master cylinder. The fix is to replace those transfer tubes as they are the seals between the 2 components. Be advised that if the motors are not in the "home" position, you will not be able to belld the system because the motors will allow the fluid pressure to bypass the lines as if they were intervening in a panic stop and allowing brake pressure to bleed off at the wheels. A GM scan tool or a really good aftermarket scan tool will be needed to perform this function of"re-homing" the motor assemblies if you cannot achieve pedal pressure.

and just to re-iterate the previous experts advice...

Before you begin, however, you must make sure the rear pistons in the Delco ABS-VI modulator are in the home position so the check balls are unseated. If this is not done, you won't be able to bleed the rear brake lines. There are two ways that this can be accomplished: With the Tech 1 or similar scan tool, select the F4 ABS Test mode, then select the F0 manual control option. You can now command the rear motor to drive the pistons to the home position.

Without a scan tool, open the front bleeder screw at the modulator. There are two, so be sure you open the front one. Then bleed the modulator. Close the screw, then bleed both front brakes starting with the right one first. After checking for a firm pedal, drive the vehicle above three miles per hour. The controller will automatically reset the system by commanding the rear motor to run to the home position. Once this has occurred, you can stop the vehicle and bleed the rear brakes

Hope this helps.

Thank you All! You and Michael have helped tremendously! Thank you both for spending so much time with me....you both are excellent and your knowledge is exceptionable. Once again you don't know how much I appreciate all you two have done....Awesome help!

Glad to be of assistance. If you are satisfied with my help, please click accept.

Thank you and Good luck with this

WHEN WE BLEED the brakes should the car be off or on, the ignition turned over or in the off position? Our repair manual does not specify.
Engine does not need to be on. Should be able to do the procedure with the engine off. Note that if you don't get any fluid flow, driving the car a few feet should cause the abs to initialize and then you can get the fluid to flow.
17 years GM tech
17 years GM tech, GM master tech
Thank you!
my pleasure