Pontiac

Pontiac problems? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

1994 grand prix: master cylider..module for the abs brakes is one unit…

I have a 1994 grand...
I have a 1994 grand prix 3.1 (the better engine), the master cylider and the module for the abs brakes is one unit. We have bought it from the manufacturer and one from a junk yard. The same problem occurred when both were installed. The brake fluid is not reaching the lines. The lines were bled time after time...brake fluid is full but all air in the lines. Any ideas?
6/29/2010
Brian Maxwell
Brian Maxwell, Pontiac Technician
Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer my name isXXXXX that particular model needs to be computer blead to cycle the inner valves free of any air. Im afraid unless you have a expensive scan tool ex. snap on solus, OTC Genesis or take it to your local shop for a brake bleed shouldn't cost much and they have the electronics to computer bleed. If there is some bleeders on the abs unit it self try bleeding them first than right rear,left rear,right front,left front.Any other questions please feel free to ask as much as you need. thanks
Brian
Brian Maxwell
Brian Maxwell, Pontiac Technician
how do i fix a leak between the master cylinder and the abs modulator, at the bottom where they connect? I've tighten them together and it still leaks?
Ok as for the leak there is a gasket between the ABS pump and the master cylinder Ive attached a pic to show you between them. Gasket needs 5 holes rectangular. Unforchinatly your going to have to go to the chevy dealer, luckly the gasket is cheep under 10$ no more than 15$ they will have to order it. And have your VIN the dealer will ask for it. when your there ask them for a elploded print out of the unit it will help you alot. Thank You hope this works out for you any other questions feel free.
Briangraphic
I'm sorry..there are 2 bolts that connect and also 2 stems that connect at the bottom,,,this is whee it is leaking...How can stop this leakage?
Ok is the leak actually right at the base of the fluid reservoir?
The master cyliner and abs connects together at the bottom of the master cylinder with the stems. This is where the leak is.
Sorry but Ive never see a leak there gm is your best bet for the o-rings that fit there. Sorry I couldn't be of more help. Thanks
Brian
How do I send you a pic of the parts I am referring to?
There should be a little pic at the top of the message box by the smily face click it and you can attach I think? no one has ever sent me anything.
OK I do not have the smiley face or pic at the top ofthe message box. I will try to describe them, unless you have an email I can send them to. This is green is color, shaped like a free weight barbell )lol) with black rings on each end, about 1" in length and the end is about the size of an eraser on a pencil. a hole is completely through the entire piece right in the center from end to end. Sure wish I could send the pic. I have the master cylinder here in the house. I was going to send you a pic so you could see where it is not aligned.
I have GM manuals at work on my computer let me find a part number and price tomorrow morning and I will post it in the morning.
Thanks
Brian
Remember feedback is always appreciated
Ok If you can't find it let me know. I have skype maybe we can use that. Thank you for all your help!
Here is a bit more for you to read about serving your brakes I found a way to bleed them with out a scan tool. I will be looking for the 2 orings part # XXXXX price thank you
Brian

But what if you replaced the master cylinder, a brake line or valve ahead of the ABS modulator? Or, what if you had to replace the modulator or high pressure accumulator? Now you have a more difficult job ahead of you.

Air can be very difficult to remove from an ABS modulator assembly because of all the nooks and crannies inside the unit. The modulator may have eight to 10, or more, ABS/traction control solenoid valves, plus various check valves and dead-end ports. Some ABS modulators have special bleed screws to help you vent the trapped air when bleeding the system. Others do not and require the use of a scan tool to cycle the ABS solenoids while you bleed the system.

To better understand what may be required, let's look at some bleeding procedures for some common General Motors ABS systems.

DELCO ABS-VI BLEEDING PROCEDURE
Introduced in 1991 as an option on Saturn, Buick Skylark, Oldsmobile Cutlass Calais and Pontiac Grand Am models, the Delco ABS-VI anti-lock brake system has been used on a wide range of General Motors front-wheel-drive vehicles, including Chevrolet Lumina and APV, Chevrolet Beretta, Corsica and Cavalier, Pontiac Grand Prix, Sunbird, Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme and Buick Regal.

The Delco VI system is a nonintegral ABS system with a conventional master brake cylinder and power booster. It has four wheel-speed sensors, but is a three-channel system. The front brakes are controlled separately, but the rear brakes share a common ABS circuit. Attached to the master cylinder is the hydraulic modulator and motor pack assembly. The modulator is held by two banjo bolts at the master cylinder�s two upper outlet ports, and two transfer tubes at the two lower outlet ports. An important service point to note here is that the two lower transfer tubes and O-rings must be replaced if the master cylinder and modulator are disconnected from one another. This is necessary to prevent leaks that could cause the brakes to fail.

The modulator assembly has fluid chambers for all four brakes, two isolation solenoid valves, four check balls, a motor pack containing three bidirectional direct current motors with electromagnetic brakes (EMBs) and/or expansion spring brakes (ESBs), three ball screw assemblies, four pistons, a gear drive set and gear cover. The modulator motor pack, isolation solenoid valves, gear cover and individual gears are all serviceable parts and can be replaced separately.

The brakes on GM cars equipped with Delco ABS-VI may be bled using manual, vacuum or pressure bleeding. The usual bleeding sequence is right rear, left rear, right front, left front.

Before you begin, however, you must make sure the rear pistons in the Delco ABS-VI modulator are in the home position so the check balls are unseated. If this is not done, you won't be able to bleed the rear brake lines. There are two ways that this can be accomplished: With the Tech 1 or similar scan tool, select the F4 ABS Test mode, then select the F0 manual control option. You can now command the rear motor to drive the pistons to the home position.

Without a scan tool, open the front bleeder screw at the modulator. There are two, so be sure you open the front one. Then bleed the modulator. Close the screw, then bleed both front brakes starting with the right one first. After checking for a firm pedal, drive the vehicle above three miles per hour. The controller will automatically reset the system by commanding the rear motor to run to the home position. Once this has occurred, you can stop the vehicle and bleed the rear brakes

Thank you this info helps. However, it is leaking where the two transfer tubes are connected to the abs. Can you tell me how to stop the leak here?
yes im currently looking up that very thing and if there is fluid leaking there than theres also air getting into the abs unit and will be pointless to bleed until leak is fixed i will find the o rings shortly thank you.
Brian
Thank you so very much for helping me so much!
No problem thats why were here remember a bonus is greatly appreciated ok can you send me your vin # XXXXX I can call the dealer
1G2WJ52M6RF297732
Are you still helping me?
Yes im waiting on the dealer I apologize. Brian
Ok I was just wondering...I am staying online! Thank you!
Ok sorry it took so long had to call 3 gm dealers and they didn't know what i was talking about, finally I called GM In Flint Michigan and found the kit there is no part #(been discontinued) so you need to tell them the o-ring tubes between the modulator and the master cylinder the price is 26.45 and you have to order from a local GM dealer there going to be a few days because the only place in the country that had them is Flint Michigan where the build the cars. Also ask the dealer for a diagram Because I cant find one and they said they would fax it and never did. Again sorry for the late answer but It was like pulling teeth to find the tubes. Hope I have helped, Just talk to the dealer and you should be set. also they said the modulator and master cylinder are connected by 2 banjo bolts(hollow bolts) and not to tighten them too much he said snug is good with new tubes. Well thank your for your patients.
Brian