Pontiac

Pontiac problems? Ask a mechanic for answers ASAP

Pontiac aztek: I parked it for the day.The..starter..shift..fuses…

Customer Question
04 Pontic Aztek bought new.Has...
04 Pontic Aztek bought new.Has always started.I parked it for the day.The next morning
The starter would not turn,could not shift out of park.Checked all fuses and relays.
An OBD11 scan said "link errow"Help!! Harry
Submitted: 8 years ago.Category: Pontiac
6/25/2010
Pontiac Mechanic: John, GM FACTORY CERTIFIED TECHNICIAN replied 8 years ago
John, GM FACTORY CERTIFIED TECHNICIAN
Chat Conversation Started
John :

Hello & Welcome to JA,

John :

The first thing to check is the battery fo sufficient voltage.Accessories & low voltage consumption things will operate on a weak battery ,but not the starter.A link error can be caused by low voltage.

Customer:

I read the owners manuel and it informed me I needed 9 volts.the battery was 61/2

Customer:

I was informed by the owners manuel that 9 volts was needed.Since the battery was

Customer:

61/2 years old I replaced it .Low voltage is not the problem,Harry

John :

The battery voltage is 12 volts,usually a good battery will read 12.4 or so volts.

John :

With the engine running the system voltage should be 13.9 to 14.2 volts,this is the sign of a good charging alternator.

Customer:

Sorry,The battery is not the problem.Harry

John :

harry, iam telling you that there must be 12 volts or better & the battery must pass a load test.read the label on the top of the battery ,it will tell you the CCA cold cranking amps.

Customer:

All the systems are good.The problem is in the safety starting components.The battery is the best new one wal mart sells.

John :

Are you telling me that you replaced the battery ? OK,I understand that you replaced the battery

John :

Be sure that the battery cables where not corroded & if they are replace them.i am sending info to relearn the theft deterrent system.

Customer:

I have that info in the owners manuel.

John :

Have you tried it ?

Customer:

Yes-----The cables are like new.

John :

Have you tried the theft relearn ?

Customer:

I don't this vehicle has the theft deterrant sys.

Customer:

I tried to make it alarm with no sucess

John :

Ok,I am going to send the proceedure fot the relearn.

One question,when you turn on the key do you see all the lights in the instrument cluster as normal ?

Customer:

Yes

John :

I am getting the info for you.

John :

With a master key (black) ,turn on the ignition,with the engine off.
Observe the security light,after approximately 10 minutes the light (telltale) will turn off.
Turn OFF the ignition,and wait 5 seconds.repeat steps1-3 two more times for a total of 3 cycles or 30 minutes,
With the master key,start the vehicle.The vehicle has now learned the key transponder information & the PCM has now learned the fuel continue password.

John :

If for some reason this does not work you have another problem such as a faulty starter or ignition switch.

Chat Conversation Ended

If you are still working with your Expert on this question, you can post additional replies and receive additional information on this page.  If you received a satisfactory answer in Chat, you can accept the chat conversation above.
Did you get the vehicle started ?
I am sorry say the auto will not start and the answers were of no help

Check the starter .this may require removing it & having an auto parts store to test it.

In plain english,threr is nothing wrong with the starter.The problem will be foundand the problem will be discovered and if it reveals you were helpful ,I will be glad to pay you.

Ok, since you seem to know what is wrong why don't you tell me?

I said the prob.will be found.Have I given you any reason to think I know the prob?

If it was in the switch.would that not show on the scanner?I crossed the starter selonid wirth the igniton switch on.The vechicle started and ran for about 10 seconds.

If you used a scan tool that showed ignition position ,it should.I have seen ignition switched (many in late models) that some of the circuits do not turn on when the switch is in the on position.
You must have voltage to the computer.ignition system,fuel pump,starter & all the sensors with communication.
Relist: Answer quality.
The vehicle is locked in park and will not start.
The problem is deeper than the experts seem to think,yet it may be something simple.It has
80,000 miles and is mechanically sound thruout.
If anyone can answer the reason why the auto sat still for 12 hours and became inoperable.
I have opted out so another expert can help you ,there will be someone here so,I hope you have a good.